Sunday, January 17, 2010

Seeing Potential

"We can look past this and see the potential."

  • Tiffany Krebs

See the Potential Around You

We were walking through a house in the country to see if it would meet the needs of the Krebs family. The warmth of the house was welcoming since it was a cold foggy day outside. Still, it was hard to go inside since it was so enchanting outside. This house was surrounded by eight-hundred apple trees and today they were covered in frost. It was like walking through a crystal forest as we approached.

We walked up the stairs of the front porch and stopped to take in the view before we stepped through the door. Once through the door we began to walk through the house room by room. It was then that I began to see things differently.

As I looked though the house I could see lots of things that could be improved. But I could tell that Tiffany could see more. I began to listen to her as she talked about each room and used the word potential over and over again. Then, toward the end of our tour she changed the word potential to "perfect" and she said, "This is what we've been looking for!

What 's interesting to me is that I've been inside of Tiffany's current home and it's simply beautiful! She has a talent for design and decorating that is rarely matched. So I was a little confused. But then I watched Tiffany looking at the kitchen just before we were getting ready to end our tour. I saw her eyes as they scanned her surroundings. They had a look that went beyond what was in front of her. Her view extended through, to the future.

She could see the house for what it could become and she was in the process of creating her new home. It was then revealed to me that she already owns everything she needs inside her head. She has the ability to transform the present into the future she wants.

By watching Tiffany work I've been able to discover the secrets of her creative process. First, she begins to make a mental list of what she wants. Second, she takes the time to think through each item in great detail. Then she goes out into the physical world and looks for what matches her vision. What I've found is that her vision allows her to see the physical world as it could be, not as it is today!

You can use the same process in your life now. If you'll give it a try and practice, you'll soon begin to have the same experience and you'll begin to see the world in a different way. Some people would have gone with me to see the same house and would have seen a dark and dreary day rather than a cute house surrounded by a crystal forest! I hope you'll begin to see the world of potential around you. If you will, I know you'll begin to look at things and use the word "perfect" a lot; even when you look in the mirror.

No comments: