Monday, January 11, 2010

Accomplishing the Impossible

"There was but one mainspring to all our thoughts and actions."

  • Lucy Smith

Accomplishing the Impossible

I was talking with a close friend this week and listened as she described her plight. "I think I should be feeling good about my business, but I'm not!"

I sat listening and heard between the lines, "I'm too weak in faith, and too poor in purse, to attempt such a mighty enterprise."

Yes. I could relate to these words and feelings so I recognized her thoughts as familiar. There have been times when I myself have felt too weak in my faith about my own future. It's a frightening and lonely place to be within one's own mind. I've even termed a phrase for the resultant physical symptoms such circumstance creates, "Cash Flow Chest."

But, now after many years of life I know that the real cause of the physical symptoms comes from the mind. And, I know that being too weak in faith results in a more debilitating symptom; a change in thought that leads to inaction. This makes everything in life seem out-of-reach and impossible. It's kind of like being transported to the middle of a desert without any tools and without any hope.

I like this analogy of a desert because it also brings to mind the concept of a mirage. I'm sure you've seen one, at least while driving, when it appears as if there is water way out in the distance. It's the same thing in this case except that the mirage is the false belief that there is no hope.

The truth is that there is hope if you'll remember the rules of "Five Horsemen" riding a horse of fire, with a flaming sword in hand. First, you must have a burning desire for something. You know what that means. You have to discover what it is that puts a "fire in your belly." This may take some time for discovery, but you must do it. It's the first key to conquering the impossible.

Second, you must burn a commitment into your soul to live your life in pursuit of your discovered purpose. Commitment looks like this: You continue day after day, determined to complete the job.

Third, when your commitment is waning and you feel too weak to continue on, you must warm yourself from the fire in your belly and return again to work.

Fourth, declare your purpose and commitment to your family and a circle of close friends so as to illuminate your path to success by the flames of your desire.

Fifth, give thanks and feel the warm glow of your success along your journey's path. I can't express this better that Oliver B. Huntington as he described reaching his journey's destination, "O, what joy again came over every one of us as we came in sight of [our goal]. . . [we were no longer] trudging along in a confused flock."

No comments: