Sunday, January 24, 2010

Family Business

"You've got to take care of the family"

  • Bob Gottdener

Family Business

I don't get to see my friend Bob Gottdener very often; sometimes just once per year. But I always look forward to it. He has a wonderful sense of humor and a zest for life that's rarely matched. So, when I saw him again this week I was glad to see he hadn't changed one bit.

Bob's been a successful financial advisor for many years and lots of companies have relied on his advice as they've strived to go from start-up to rapid growth. I've also relied on his advice for many years and this day was no different.

After spending the day critiquing the funding request presentations of a number of early stage companies, Bob and I were able to get together at an evening reception. It was there that we spent some time talking together. Since I have great respect for Bob and what he's been able to accomplish, I always listen to what he says very carefully.

As we stood over to one side of the room talking, our conversation was mostly about investments and investment strategy. But, all of a sudden Bob looked at me with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye and said to me, "After all, you've got to take care of your family." That small statement was truly the gem of our conversation.

It made me look inside of myself and take note of the real reason I work and invest. It isn't for the money per se. It's about taking care of my family! I go out each day with one thing in mind, and that's the most important thing; looking out for the people I love. As long as I keep that in mind, I can go out and face insurmountable odds and take on the world. It keeps me going.

Now that Bob has passed his wisdom to me, I pass it to you so you'll keep your loved ones at the front of your mind as you go out each day. If you will, you'll soon find a new bounce to your step and a whistle in your heart. So, go out there today and do it for the ones you love!

No comments: