Monday, November 2, 2009

Let the Future Take Care of Itself

"I live in the present moment knowing that I'll be taken care of in the future."

  • Ken Wells

Let the Future Take Care of Itself

Before I walk into the garage of a home carefully placed on the side of a mountain in Park City, I take a moment to stand in the doorway and talk with my friend Ken. It's a beautiful day in late October; the kind of day that reminds me why fall is my favorite time of year in these nurturing mountains. It's a little chilly, but not too cold! I stand there in my shirt sleeves and marvel at the calming affect the view has on me.

I also marvel at what Ken is telling me. Ken is a self described "mad scientist" and does some amazing things in his garage. I'm there, by invitation, to take a look at his latest project. I'm curious! I've spent the better part of the early afternoon listening to him tell me about his discovery but still can't even begin to grasp its significance. So, when he invites me to see his work I jump at the chance to understand it more.

There are lots of things I don't understand. I always thought people who were my age had it all figured out by now; they'd lived life for a long time and knew exactly what it was all about. Now that I'm at "that" age, I find I don't know much about our world at all. Perhaps it's because I keep meeting, associating with, and learning from such amazing people!

Ken is one of these amazing people and I am about to find out a little more about just how amazing he really is. We keep talking as we walk into his garage where we're greeted by plastic cylinders with hoses coming and going from every which way. It makes me wonder how Ken's mind works!

I ask him, "What will this do?"

He gets a sparkle in his eye and replies "Change the entire world!"

"How will that happen?" I ask.

He tells me how everything works and why. I hear his words but still don't really understand it all. But then he says something that helps me catch a glimpse into his world.

"I don't really look into the future much at all. I spend my life living in the present. I create it moment by moment knowing that I'll be taken care of in the future." Ken expounds.

Now I understand that Ken is changing the world in two ways; through his work in science and by living his life moment by moment! If you're like me you won't change your world through scientific discovery, but you, and I can change our world moment by moment by living in our lives in the present!


 

No comments: