Sunday, October 11, 2009

More Than a Voice Connection

"Are you proud of me?"

  • Jessi Butterfield

More Than a Voice Connection

My oldest daughter, now a woman, packed her bags as she finished college and went off to chase her dreams in New York City. She was determined to make her own way and create the life she's envisioned for quite a long time.

After being on her own for some year and a half, she just landed a "perfect fit" job that will take her to the next step in her progression. Some may look at her now and say she's lucky. That may be true, but it's not the only reason she is where she is.

During the last eighteen months, I've watched from afar as she's knocked on door after door and done many odd jobs just to put food in her mouth. I've also watched as she's looked fear right in the eyes and then made the determination to go to work in spite of it. I even know that she's basically lived out of a suit case up until the past two months when she finally got a place of her own. For all these reasons I can truly say that I'm proud of her and the efforts she's made!

But, it wasn't until this last week when I was visiting with her on the telephone that I told her so. And, it wasn't until she asked, "Are you proud of me?" That I realized I'd taken way too long to say something. Now, for some five days, I've been wondering why I didn't share my feelings with her long before she had to ask.

Even though I was speaking with her on a voice connection only, I could see the gleam in her eyes as the words floated into her ears. I only wish I could have been there to see and feel her full joy.

There's a big lesson here! No matter what the people you love accomplish, their accomplishment is empty and hollow until they know how proud of them you are. You can be the source of an amazing, fulfilling happiness if you'll simply express your admiration on a regular basis.

So, tell those you love how impressed you are with what they've accomplished. Then, drink in the twinkle from their eyes, bask in the glow of their love and treasure up the experience in your heart.

No comments: