Sunday, October 18, 2009

In the Eyes of Another

A teaching moment

In the Eyes of Another

Have you ever been talking to one of your children when you realized that it was one of the most important teaching moments of your lifetime? That's what just happened to me not more than nine hours ago. We were talking about goals when my daughter spouted out, "I don't know what the big deal is. I already have my life completely planned. It's not like it's hard or anything."

She went on, "I don't know why people think it's so hard. All you do is decide what it is you want and then go for it."

I replied, "It's not that easy for everyone. For example, I don't really have any goals." (I was just saying that to stimulate more conversation."

And that's when the real teaching moment began. But, not in the way I thought it would!

"You have goals!" she said.

"What are my goals?" I replied.

"That's easy!" she answered.

"You're making sure all of us have a good college education. And, you want all of us to be married to good people who share our beliefs."

It was like being hit right between the eyes for me! She was right. Those are two of my goals. In fact, they're right at the top of my list! It was a teaching moment alright; but, I was the one being taught.

I've long said, "You can tell what a person really wants by what they do." I guess I just thought I was somehow invisible when it came to my own actions. Yet, here was my daughter telling me what I really wanted as a result of watching what I've done and what I've said over time.

So here it is: If you really want to know what you want in your life, go to someone close to you and ask them to tell you what your goals are! See if you hear what you've been telling yourself all these years. I've found that it's much easier to fool myself than those I love.

Are you spending your life doing what you really want to do?

No comments: