Monday, October 5, 2009

Be Comfortable With Yourself

"They called me a geek because I was smart so I became a Cheerleader and now they call me dumb!"

  • Annie Butterfield

Be Comfortable With Yourself

My daughter Annie is without a doubt the best speller I've ever known. She seems to be able to instinctively spell words. I marvel at this skill because I've always had difficulty spelling. Not being a good speller comes as naturally to me as being a great speller comes to her.

Annie is internally driven and that's why she's a great student. She wants to have good grades and works hard to obtain them. She monitors her grades each term and makes sure she has a solid "A" in every class. This isn't something she's been taught to do. It's something she wants to do. It's who she is.

Because she's such a good student there are others who began to make fun of her in Junior High. Some began calling her a nerd because she got good grades and participated well in class. As a result, there were many days when she'd come home with hurt feelings; all because she's a person of excellence. So, as is her nature, she came up with a plan to combat her detractors and soothe her tender heart.

Annie became a cheerleader so she could use her athletic talent as well as become more popular. She's an excellent athlete and enjoys her association with the other cheerleaders in her new high school. She's doing well! But, she's found that some have put her into another category now.

She came home the other day and said, "They called me a geek because I was smart so I became a cheerleader and now they call me dumb!"

She'd been in a class that day when some other kids were laughing about how "stupid" Cheerleaders are. Annie spoke up and said, "I'm a Cheerleader."

The kids chortled and said, "Yes, we know."

"Then I answered a question the teacher asked. Of course, they didn't have a clue as to what the answer was!" She said.

She's learned a valuable lesson that will serve her well if she can keep it. It's so important that I wanted to give it to you.

Be who you are. Enjoy your special talents and be joyous in them. Allow like-minded people with complementary endowments to befriend you and you'll live a life of fulfillment. Create your own way. Live independently, of what others appear to think, and enjoy an exceptional life.

No comments: