Saturday, July 4, 2009

Finding Your Life’s Work

"In order to know what your priorities are, you have to know what your work is."

  • David Allen

Finding Your Life's Work

Have you ever thought about the difference between "your work" and a job? Lots of people don't know the difference between the two. Perhaps another way to look at this is to ask yourself, "Why do I exist?" After all, the primary purpose for anything provides the core definition of what its "work" really is. I like to think of this as the ultimate work description. Think of this as the genesis of all your goals, visions, objectives, projects, and actions. If you do, you'll soon discover that everything in your life will lead toward your "work."

That's a different thing than saying that everything in life leads to your job. They may not be the same thing. In fact, I think that for most people it's not the same thing. Your work may even have a completely different purpose than your job. Your job may have only one purpose and that purpose may only mean making money.

This week I was thinking about my work as it relates to my job in a different way. If I view my job as simply one small part of my work, does it make a difference in how I do my job? Will I make different decisions in my job if my job supports my work? Will money still be the most important driver in doing my job if I've changed my view of it as a tool in completing my life's work?

Do you know people that have lost a friendship over money? One of my favorite sayings is, "The surest way to lose a friend is to lend her money." In similar fashion, there have been times in my life when I've had to ask myself a very important question, "How much money is this friendship worth to me?

No, I only don't mean that I only want to have friendships with people that provide me with money. But, there have been times when I've had to remind myself of my life's work when doing business with a friend. What will it take to make sure my friend is going to say that I've treated them right? How would I want to be treated in a similar situation? According to the contract, or my word, I only need to do this much to be able to make more money; but, what's the cost of doing only what the contract says I need to do? At the end of a transaction will my friend say, "I'd trust you with anything!"?

So, turn this on its side and think of it from a slightly different view. "The surest way to lose your purposed life is to focus it completely on money."

Have you ever known anyone who is focused only on money? Was it hard to tell what their purpose was?

On the other hand, if someone were to spend time with you would they be able to identify what your life's work is?

My friend Wade Anderson owns Tooele Valley Nursery and after spending time with him I think I have a pretty good idea about what his work in life is. Yes, you may say well, that's an easy one because his work is selling plants.

My reply to that would be no, his job is selling plants, but that's not his work! How do I know? I've watched him work with people over and over again when he's given people an exchange or a refund when he didn't need to. I've seen him give lots of advice to people, including me, without charging a consulting fee. He has a clear approach to his business and as a result, he has a clear approach to his life's work; helping people create beauty in their life by providing counsel and gardening materials (my definition). I think that's a lot different than just selling plants!

If you sell plants, airplanes, shoes, cars, real estate or do anything else for money, ask yourself, "How does this fit into the big picture of my life?" What do I like to do with my time when I have nothing else telling me what to do? What am I doing when I completely lose track of time? If money wasn't a concern, what would I do with my life?

If you can answer these questions then you can begin to create your life rather than simply react to what life's throwing your way. I want you to be able to be like my friend Ron Green when he said to me, "My life turned out exactly the way I wanted it to."

Be an observer this week. Notice what you do and why you do it. Think about your past and notice what you've liked to do and why. Take the time to determine what your life's work is and then go and make it happen!

No comments: