Monday, July 27, 2009

Find Your Voice

"I see things changing all around me and I just don't know what to say."

  • Shane Riley

Find Your Voice

When I was doing business in China a close friend of mine introduced me to his uncle. He and his family lived in Shanghai and he was a professor at a local university. You know, I don't remember what subject he taught, but I do remember the lessons he taught me about the "Cultural Revolution" by sharing his experiences with me.

We were riding on a train from Shanghai to Wuxi for about four hours and it gave us a chance to talk, more or less in privacy, since the chance was very high we were the only ones, within ear-shot, who spoke English and would care about our discussion. In those days it was still very important to be careful about what one said because of the potential cost related to saying the wrong thing. I found this local political situation even more interesting as I observed a Canadian man and his wife who were sitting not far from us. It was clear to all that they didn't hesitate to say anything that came into their mind.

My traveling companion was however, very cognizant of what he said and it had taken me weeks to establish enough trust with him so he was willing to speak his mind. After getting to know him fairly well I knew he had a sharp mind. He also lived a life of introspection that made me believe he had much to teach me; it was the chance of a life time. He could pass a life experience to me that I could never have on my own.

"Tell me about the Cultural Revolution", I said.

He looked at me from his left with his head slightly to the side so he could keep a sharp eye on everyone around us. Then in a quiet voice he said, "It was a very hard time for me."

"How was it hard?" I replied.

"First, some men came and told me my house was too large for just my family. They had four other families with them. One family to a room they said. All the families now called my home theirs and we share the kitchen and the bathrooms."

I had been to his house so I knew this was true. I couldn't remember seeing so many people living in one house before. He, his wife and one child all shared what was once a single bedroom.

"Then they began to tell me what I could teach at the University. Someone reviewed all my lectures to make sure I was saying the right things."

"What did you do?" I queried.

"I kept to myself a lot. I read a lot. I read a lot! I was quiet. It was the only way I could keep myself and my family alive in those days."

I looked up at his face so I could see and feel the depth of his words. His eyes shimmered in the hazy sunlight. His face was tense and strong. His strength flowed in to me. It was as if I were dipping and drinking water from a deep, pure well. There was a great deal to learn from this man.

I was grateful to be with him. I was grateful to be there when he found his voice. His tale of hardship and oppression was not just important for me to hear. It was important for everyone in this world to hear. His story is unique to him so it is his and his alone to tell.

So it is with you. You have a unique story to tell. You are the only one who can tell it. If you don't tell it, no one will. No one else can.

You are my traveling companion and we're on a journey together. Who knows how long it will last. Who knows where we're going. Let's make sure we're all going to a great future. It can only be done if we have the benefit of being taught at the feet of each other.

There are so many ways you can tell us your story. Perhaps it is through your work. Perhaps it's through poetry. Perhaps it's through song. Maybe it's giving of yourself as a photographer. Take a moment today and make a decision as to what you're going to do to find your voice. Let us hear it.

If you lack courage, visualize a trip on a train going deeper into China by the second. Hear the wheels clicking beneath you. See yourself next to a quiet professor. Draw on his strength. Use it to strike a chord. Then, find your voice; teach us what only you know so all our lives can be deeper and richer.

No comments: