Monday, October 2, 2023

Patient-Time

“There are some things you just can’t rush. All things happen according to right-timing.” – Chef Steven Brooks

Patient-Time

“I’m going to spend time with my family now,” Chef Brooks said. “My son just got out of the hospital and my wife and I are making sure to be with him as he heals.”

When Chef Brooks agreed to come to the Northwest Arkansas LGPA Championship to give me a culinary tour of Bite NWA, I had no idea his son was in the hospital fighting for his life. When the Chef arrived, his bright, infectious smile came with him; even under his difficult personal circumstances. He gave no hint as to his underlying stress as we began our walk through the more than forty tasting booths.

We tasted, sipped, sampled and discovered the delicious offerings of his year’s event. And, the people surrounding us began to come up to this likable Celebrity Chef to greet him immediately. He is truly beloved.

One young exhibitor beamed brighter than the warm afternoon sun as soon as we walked up to taste her charcuterie boards.

“Delicious,” Chef Brooks emitted through his earnest voice.

“Really?” She hopefully answered back.

“Yes,” He responded. “Keep up the good work.”

His words of encouragement sent a thrill throughout her whole being. She is the perfect example of how the participants in this sixteen-year-old event have benefited from Chef Brooks and his vision of strengthening an up and coming generation of chefs.

“When I was younger, there were others who helped me,” He said before giving me an example of how the process of growth works through patient time.

“I was in a televised, dual-competition in New York a couple of years ago when I glanced up and to see what my competitor was cooking. He had just started making collard greens. I looked up at the clock and saw the countdown timer winding down. I simply shook my head and said to myself, ‘there is no way anyone can make that dish properly in that amount of time,’” He recalled.

After the judges completed their scoring, Chef Brooks took a moment to taste the collard greens prepared by his competitor.

“They were tough, just as I thought they’d be. There are some things you just can’t rush. All things happen according to right-timing.”

He went on to explain that he calls this “patient-time” and that it is something we all need to be mindful of in day to day life. Then he revealed another personal example of his own adherence to this principle.

The Sunday before our work together his twenty-year-old son had been rushed to the hospital in cardiac arrest. While in the hospital his son flatlined. Chef Brooks and his wife rushed to their son’s side immediately. They’d spent all week with him since, teaching him about patient-time and how such things, as healing, require it.

“I’m going to spend time with my family now,” Chef Brooks said, as he said his goodbye. “My son just got out of the hospital and my wife and I are making sure to be with him as he heals.”

Watch my latest show on American Dream TV:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IT0IYLYKqA2dPTxGycbno19Srmf75UHB?usp=drive_link

No comments: