Monday, April 19, 2021

Something Good is Happening

“My kids have been working to help our family!” – Maria White

Something Good is Happening

I didn’t come to work with Maria White on this particular Friday afternoon to have my heart changed.  I didn’t even arrive at our office on the town square to receive additional hope. When I did arrive, early in the afternoon, the sky was cloudy and rain was threatening.  There was a steady breeze animating the trees and crinkling the once still puddles dotting the sidewalks and streets.  In all, it was a gray day, punctuated with lively movement and bright green foliage.  I guess I should have paid more attention to that positive movement and brightness at the time, since it was a scene the rest of the afternoon would emulate.  But, in my defense, I had never before moved to open one door to find that I had really opened another.

When I say, I had really opened another door, I’m giving myself way too much credit.  I more accurately should have said that I simply showed up and listened.  It was listening to Maria’s story and taking it to heart that opened an unexpected door for me.

“I haven’t met you.”  Maria said when I arrived. Then we settled in to work.  But, it wasn’t all work.  We also spent time talking, getting to know each other.  And Maria’s tale illustrates that the only way to truly improve our relationships and communities is find our way back to each other.

“As the pandemic started my husband lost his job.  Then he found a new job only to get laid off again within a short time.”  She explained.  “That’s when my kids stepped up and began to help.”

The afternoon was still gray outside, but Maria’s story was filled with dynamic movement and was punctuated with the brightness of hope. When faced with adversity she and her family could have lost all confidence and had their spirits completely broken.  But, they rallied around each other and discovered at least three significant things.

First, they never loosened their bonds of relationship.  They rediscovered that their challenges are an amazing opportunity to strengthen their connection by serving each other.

Second, they focused on changing their hearts individually.  They moved forward through action, saying “I’m helping you because we’re all family!”

Third, they found that they already had everything they needed.  Each other.

As I listened I was glad Maria and I had found each other too. I didn’t come to work on this particular Friday afternoon to have my heart changed.  I didn’t even arrive at our office on the town square to receive additional hope. When I did arrive, early in the afternoon, the sky was cloudy and rain was threatening.  There was a steady breeze animating the trees and crinkling the once still puddles dotting the sidewalks and streets.  Outside, it was a gray day, punctuated with lively movement and bright green foliage.  And inside?  I paid riveted attention to Maria’s story of love and brightness of hope, since it sets the scene the rest of the of us emulate.  

Our continuing story can be one focused on showing charity to all, with malice to none, so something good will happen for every one in our human family.

No comments: