Monday, February 8, 2021

Sniffing-out the Spectacular

“To look at a thing is quite different from seeing a thing, and one does not see anything until one sees its beauty.” - MINNIE DRIVER - Miss Mabel Chiltern.


Sniffing-out the Spectacular


I walk my dog every morning.  You know my dog, Harry Pupper.  I started walking just for the exercise and then it was also because I could see how much Harry enjoyed it.  I could tell how much he loved it, because he would wake up, pretend to be sleeping, and wait.  Wait for the click.


The click I’m referring to is the sound made by my turning the garage door deadbolt.  It’s the same click that tells the Pupper its time for us to satisfy our need for wanderlust.  Every dog seems to have this desire tucked deep inside.  They love to wander.  So do I.  It’s something we share.


There’s something special about wandering time.  And, it’s even better when done with a buddy.  So, I thought my wandering mornings couldn’t get any better.  I was wrong.


Just three days ago, as we were out, just before the sun, I saw something extraordinary.  It made me stop and capture the moment in a photograph.  It also made me stop and ask two questions.


“What if I lived my life like this every day?  What if, while wandering through each day, I actively look for the spectacular?”


Those questions caused me to decided that the Pupper and were going to test our little “Seeking the spectacular” experiment by actively looking for the special while wandering the next couple of mornings.  And, you know what?  We found that we began to see things we’d never seen, or perhaps noticed before. Even though we’d obviously walked right past them afore.


For example, we discovered one of the most beautiful sculptures we’d ever seen.  As we happened upon it, I remember asking Harry Pupper, “Have you noticed this before?”  


“It just goes to show, that we begin to see what exactly we’re looking for!”  


Of course, as soon as my words hit Harry’s soft furry ears, I recalled one of my favorite movie quotes from the film “An Ideal Husband.”


“To look at a thing is quite different from seeing a thing, and one does not see anything until one sees its beauty.” - MINNIE DRIVER - Miss Mabel Chiltern.


Then, as if scripted, Harry and I happened upon a small, big-mouth-full, green ball.


The Pupper loves to play ball.  I kicked it.  He chased.  We played ball for the rest of our stroll, as the sun continue to rise higher in the sky.  It was second dawning.


Having fun while looking for the spectacular increases its impact!


I walk my dog every morning.  You know my dog, Harry Pupper.  I started walking just for the exercise and then, it was also because I could see how much Harry enjoyed it.  I could tell how much he loved it, because he would wake up, pretend to be sleeping, and wait.  Wait for the click.


The click I’m referring to is the sound made by my turning the garage door deadbolt.  It’s the same click that tells the Pupper its time for us to satisfy our need to seek the spectacular.  Every dog seems to have this desire tucked deep inside.  They love to sniff-it-out.  So do I.  It’s something we can all share.

No comments: