Monday, October 5, 2020

Nosey Neighbors

Noses on both sides of the fence.

Nosey Neighbors

A cool blue sky was brightening with every step toward the thirsty watering trough near the fence, on the east side of Salty Shores Ranch.  It was bright enough to be able to see that the water needed to be freshened from a night of moistening noses, black noses.  Yes, some of the of the noses belong to me.  Those specific noses are attached to huge Black Angus steers as well as to my smaller, three-quarter size Dexter, heifer noses.  And, I knew there had been other noses in that water as well.

I looked across the fence toward the orchard to the south, across the tall, dried strands of rye grass.  That’s where I spied long, spike-like ears rising just above the tassels of fancy grass seeds atop swaying stalks.  In between those alert ears, just a little lower, barely visible through the dim light were some of those other noses.  They belonged to bedded down mule deer in repose, though still watchful, after a night of browsing and quenching their thirst in the filling container sitting at the end of my toes.  The sight teased a smile from my sleepy face while coaxing my eyes to do a little more looking.

I looked to my left and saw three more noses pointed in my direction.  One nose was attached to a black-as-night, Alpaca.  Another to a shaggy pygmy goat.  And, there was one more nose.  It was one attached to a larger, mid-sized goat, covered in white, punctuated with brown, mud-looking splotches.  They stood in a perfect straight, in line with the fence, rubbernecking.

“Good morning!”  I brightly called out, with my right hand grasping the red rubber hose spewing additional cool water rushing to fill its temporary reservoir.

Morning rays from the altitude-gaining sun scratched the topping rocks, trees and dirt crowning the Oquirrh Mountain Range. It’s strands of gold began to illuminate the whole scene stretched out before me.  It delivered a courageous message.

My rays shine freely on all!

The cool blue sky was brightening and warming there, at the now thirst-quenched watering trough near the fence on the east side of Salty Shores Ranch.  The freshened water was again prepared for another day of moistening noses, similar black noses.  Yes, some of the of the noses belong to me.  Those specific noses are attached to huge Black Angus steers as well as to my smaller, three-quarter size Dexter, heifers.  And, I had just surveyed many other noses that had been and would be again dipping into this refreshing water.

I looked again, across the fence toward the orchard to the south, across the tall, dried strands of rye grass, where I still spied long, spike-like ears rising just above the tassels of fancy grass seeds atop swaying stalks.  In between those alert ears, just a little lower, barely visible through brightening light were some of those other, noses in common.  They belonged to bedded down mule deer as they relaxed, though still watchful, after a night of browsing and quenching their thirst in the filled container sitting at the end of my toes.  The sight teased a smile from my sleepy face while coaxing my eyes to understand the sun’s fundamental message.

There is plenty for all.  Those already living here.  Those who are just moving in.  Even those who are very different breed.

We all have one important thing in common.  Noses.

Welcome all.  Let your smile shine freely and brightly just as our common sun does.

Be a nosey neighbor.

No comments: