Monday, March 16, 2020

The Smallest and Greatest Way

“I have a little fund.” – Sherry Bullock

The Smallest and Greatest Way

Friday was the day we agreed to, so I drove the short distance to Sherry and Mike’s home to pick up new and gently used shoes as a donation to our Soles4Souls project.  There were two short steps to the front door and I touched the button on their Ring doorbell.  I waited.

In a few moments Sherry Bullock began to open the front door, slowly in greeting.  And, her greeting was immediately punctuated by Molly.  Sherry and Mike’s black labradoodle.    Molly had a large grin on her face.  I could tell because her white teeth were shining, highlighted as if framed by a black nose and soft curly fur.  I reached out to pet her and she wrapped both of her front paws around my arm and simply lolled there while looking to my face in an approving manner.  It was as if she understood the good that Sherry was up to.

Just two days had passed since I received a message from Sherry in response to my Soles4Souls ask for help.

“I have some shoes I’m happy to donate.  Is there a drop off location?” She had inquired.

Now, Molly, Sherry and I were talking in the foyer of their home.  Our conversation turned naturally to dogs, as Molly had seemingly usurped the whole reason for our being together.  She and I stood arm-in-arm as we conversed.  It was symbolic of how our exchange was soon to reveal how shoes, dogs and giving were intertwined in Sherry’s life.

“I have a little fund.”  Sherry said to me sheepishly.

Then she told me how she had gone to one of our local veterinarians to offer help to his clients that were having a difficult time paying for the care their pet had received.

“It isn’t much, but I hope it helps people and their four-legged family members.” She continued.

“I think it is a lot!”  I responded.  “Can you imagine if everyone ‘created a little fund’ to help others?”

It seems as if we, often times, think in terms of doing “big” things.  Giving big gifts.  Spending lots of money.  Yet, “Sherry’s fund” is proof that it is often the smallest of acts that have the largest impact on others.  It seems to be counterintuitive to many of us.  Yet, here I was, arm-in-arm with Molly, enjoying a small gesture of proof.

It was Friday, a small time before the end of the week, the day we agreed to, so I drove the short distance to Sherry and Mike’s home to pick up new and gently used shoes as a donation to our Soles4Souls project.  There were two little steps to the front door and I touched the small button on their Ring doorbell.  I waited a short time.

In a few tiny moments, Sherry Bullock began to open the front door slowly in greeting.  And, her greeting was punctuated by Molly.  Sherry and Mike’s black labradoodle.    Molly had a large grin on her face, along with a small twinkle in her eyes.  I could tell because her white teeth were shining, highlighted as if framed by a little black nose and soft, short curly fur.  I reached out ever so slightly to pet her and she wrapped both of her front paws around my arm and simply lolled there while looking to my face in an approving manner.  It was as if she was participating in the small, yet important principle that Sherry was about to teach you and me.

It is often the smallest of acts that have the largest impact.  If you and I were to combine our small acts of giving, with those being given by our friend Sherry, we could change our community in the smallest and greatest way!

No comments: