Monday, March 4, 2019

The Art of Looking up


Puppy Dog Eyes

The Art of Looking up

He has four short legs.  Some would call them stubby.  Others would view them as a disadvantage.  After all, such length-inhibited legs would seem to limit reach.  And, after watching the whole dog, I’ve discovered that short doesn’t have to mean short of vision, short of opportunity, a shortness of looking up, toward opportunity.  In short, puppy dog eyes, reveal the “art of looking up.”

My short dog, Hairy Pupper, is the perfect definition of short, stubby and length.  Who would have thought to put such seemingly, contradictory bits into one whole?  Then again!  I stand in a large, open room.  I take a look over, toward the dark, teak and glass bookcase against the east wall and see this tan and white Fluffy, Welch Corgi acting out his physical features in personality.

He may be short in stature.  Well, maybe he is long in stature?  He, like you and me, is a mix of both!  Hairy demonstrates this both physically and through personality.

Here’s what I mean.  I stand in a large, open room.  I take a look over, toward the dark, teak and glass bookcase against the east wall and see Hairy crouched and raring to go.  He sees that I’m not coming over to pick up and throw a ball for him.  He looks over at me.  I don’t move.  He turns his head and perks up his ears.  He gives me an earnest look.

I stand still!

After a few moments he stands on his feet, shakes the whole length of his long, tube-like body.  His ears flap.  His shoulders shiver.  His midsection rolls.  And, his rear, along with his stubby little cute tail, wiggle, right through its very tip.  He walks directly to me and sits.  That’s when he demonstrates his art of looking up!  His puppy dog eyes look.

His nose points up directly to my face.  He cocks his head slightly to the left.  He broadens and brightens his eyes.  Then he lifts his ears.  It is a look of anticipation.  It is a look of hope.  It is a look, a look of, well, it is an ask!

And, it gets me every time!  I walk over to the dark, teak and glass bookcase against the east wall.  I reach up.  I pick up his ball and throw it down the hall for him to chase!

His four short legs bolt him forward like a shot!  Some would call them stubby, yet they propel him through space at high velocity!  Others would view them as a disadvantage, but they allow him to dart and turn on a dime.  Such length-inhibited legs would seem to limit reach, yet he uses his well-developed puppy dog eyes look to hone his art of looking up as a way to overcome such “short comings.”

My short dog, Hairy Pupper, is the perfect definition of short, stubby and length.  Who would have thought to put such seemingly, contradictory bits into one whole?  And, after watching the whole dog, I’ve discovered having short comings doesn’t need to mean being short of vision, short of opportunity, or a shortness of looking up, toward opportunity. 

In short, Hairy Pupper’s, puppy dog eyes, reveal the “art of looking up” to all of us who are also the perfect definition of being sort of stature in some ways, while making up for in with length in so many other ways.

No comments: