Monday, March 18, 2019

Living in Cow-Time


Being surrounded by mule deer and steers on a cool winter’s evening.

Living in Cow-Time

Yes.  I was wearing my “Elmer Fudd” hat on this early winter evening.  I needed it to keep my ears warm while crunching through the snow to feed my steers.  The sun, long in the western part of the sky, was just beginning to scratch the tops of the Stansbury Mountain Range.  And, the indigenous wild life was beginning its feeding ritual right along with me.

The Mule deer, just up ahead of me, lifted their heads and twitched their ears as they heard the crunch of my boots through the snow.  I could tell they were a little nervous as their shifted their bodies in a way that would allow them to bolt away if necessary.  Their actions caused me to angle my approach just enough to allow them to enjoy a sense of calm.

When my steers heard my sounds, they too raised their heads.  Then they walked to toward their crib before they hesitated.  You see, sometimes they get a little nervous when their corral is invaded by the deer.  On this night, they were very cautious because of the more than thirty deer grazing near them.  So, I called out their names as I approached.  They stood still.

I walked forward, gathered six flakes of alfalfa hay from the barn, and threw it into the crib thinking they would follow their normal pattern of crashing forward to eat.  Still, they stood.  So, I walked toward them in friendly greeting.  They fidgeted nervously!  I stood still.

While standing, I remembered what an old cowman once said, “Cows have more time than cowboys, so cows always win.”

I decided to wait, to live in “cow-time.”  It was magical!

The air around me, the steers and the deer acted as if a low-pressure system had moved in.  The evening became still.  The deer put their heads down to graze and they sauntered around, just a few feet away from me, as if, they didn’t have a care in the world.  And the steers?

The steers lowered their heads a little, fluttered their ears and walked right up to greet me, after a short time.  I reached out and rubbed the tops of their heads, right where they like it.  They shook their heads up and down to show their delight.

Yes.  I was wearing my “Elmer Fudd” hat on this early winter evening as I scratched their heads.  I needed it to keep my ears warm while standing there with my steers.  The sun, long in the western part of the sky, was just beginning to scratch the tops of the Stansbury Mountain Range.  And, the indigenous wild life continued its feeding ritual right by my side.

The Mule deer, just a few steps from me, lowered their heads and twitched their ears as their anxiety faded away.  I could tell they were a comfortable as they shifted their bodies in a way that would allow them graze calmly.  Their actions caused me to angle my approach just enough to allow them to enjoy a sense of calm.

Now this old cowman says, “Cows have more time than cowboys, so cows always win, but if you stop and live in cow-time with them, something magical will happen in your life.”

No comments: