Monday, December 31, 2018

Unexpected Christmas Angels


“I do this to give back and make a difference in people’s lives.” – Victor Porter

Unexpected Christmas Angels

The news reporter I was listening to said it was going to be the busiest airport travel period in U.S. history.  That report caused me to shrug my shoulders in response as I said, “What can you do?”  That was before I left.  Now I was sitting in the Tulsa International Airport with lots of other people.  It was a lot worse than I had imagined!

It was worse, because flights from Dallas had been diverted to Tulsa due to weather issues.  And, there is a huge difference in size, as well as capacity, between the two airports.  The concrete in the Dallas airport infrastructure is enough to build a high capacity freeway from coast to coast across the United States, while the airport in Tulsa is small, with two short concourses.  So capacity, on these busy travel days following Christmas was stretched, to say the least.

The other issue was the capacity of the plane I was hoping to get on.  It was a small fifty seat regional jet.  When I looked around at all of the people huddled around the gate, it was clear they were over sold.  By a lot!  That being said, I was not greatly surprised when I was not assigned a seat.

“Oh well, I guess it’s time to find a hotel for the night.”  I said to myself as I pulled my phone out to make a reservation.

Then I made a reservation for a ride share on Lyft.  And, after sitting around for a couple of hours I was surprised to have my request almost instantaneously filled.

“I need to hustle!”  I said, as I gathered my things to run down the concourse to meet Victor Porter, my driver.

Victor greeted me with a warm, welcoming smile, helped me load my baggage and made me feel warm inside.  He even cheered me by playing music performed by one of my favored artists and his caring-manner seemingly, easily washed the stress of an over-taxed airport away.

“How nice!” I said to myself as I relaxed in the warmth and comfort of his car.  “I’ll get some dinner and then rest, so I can get through another difficult travel day tomorrow.  That’s when it hit me!

In my rush to get out to the car, I had left something at the airline’s gate!  Time was of the essence!

“Victor, what do we need to do to adjust our trip to go back to the airport?  I seem to have left a valuable item at the gate.”  I queried, with an explanation.

“Not to worry!” He responded with a smile.  “I’ll simply end this trip and take you back there and then to your hotel without charge.  I do this to give back and make a difference in people’s lives.”

“I’ll surely you!”  I responded.  “I’m just grateful for your help!”

We arrived back to where we started in a short, few minutes.  Victor patiently waited for me at the curb as promised, while a kind ticket counter agent personally walked back to the gate to find my small package.

“I needed to go for a walk anyway!  So, you were really helping me!”  Said the gate agent whose name I’ll never know.

Then, Victor gave me a ride to my hotel and offered to pick me up the next morning at 6:30 am to get me to my next flight on time!

The very next morning, a different news reporter, I was listening to, said it was going to be the busiest airport travel period in history.  The report caused me to shrug my shoulders in response as I said, “No big deal, Victor is here to pick me up!”  That was just before I slid back into his welcoming car.  I was on my way back to the Tulsa International Airport with lots of other people.  It was a lot better than I had imagined it would be!

After all, I never imagined I’d meet two Christmas Angels in Oklahoma, at the Tulsa International Airport!

No comments: