Monday, November 12, 2018

Harry Pupper's Rules


Dogs Don’t Read Clocks

Harry Pupper’s Rules

It was an early fall evening.  The sun was making its quick dive behind the Oquirrh Mountains.  I turned to walk down a hallway and noticed Harry Pupper, my faithful companion, shadowing my every move.  I smiled a little at the shadow observation because when I looked outside, the shadows were stretched long, just as they always are as the sun treks farther west.  Harry was also seemingly stretching his longing for an evening walk by wanting to go out early.

“Odd,” I said to myself, as I looked over at the clock to see the time blasting out as 6:30 p.m. in large red numerals and letters.  And, that’s when it hit me!

Dogs don’t read clocks!

Ah!  Daylight Savings Time ended just one week earlier, so Harry was exactly right.  He was the one gauging time correctly.  His internal clock was not being manipulated, no matter what the artificial, mechanical clock said.  Humans sometimes make up their own rules governing transitory, non-authentic living.

“Dogs don’t read clocks!” I said to the inside of my house and to anyone else who happened to be within earshot.

And, I thought you and I could benefit from “Harry Pupper’s Rules” of living authentically.

First, live with enthusiastic optimism.  When I open the closet door to get Harry’s leash out for our evening walk he barks for joy and does a little spin, dance-move to show his delight.

Second, focus on your loved ones.  When Harry’s internal clock tells him it’s our time to go out, he follows me around, ears perked, eyes bright and sees nothing and nobody else until we go outside together.

Third, snuggle up with the people closest to you.  At the end of our walks, Harry runs through the house to let everyone know he has come home.  Then he comes to where ever I’m sitting to let me rub his ears and rest his head on my leg.

Fourth, be quick to forgive and forget. On this night, I looked at the clock to see the big red numerals and letters blaring 6:30 p.m.  Then I said, “sorry little buddy, it’s not time yet.”  He looked sad for a moment and then waited patiently until I called. When I did call, an hour later, he harbored no trace of ill will!  He was genuinely enthusiastic and focused on what we were about to do together.

“Ah!” I said audibly, “These are beneficial, lifelong rules to live by.” 

Yes, daylight Savings Time ended just one week earlier, and Harry Pupper was exactly right, again.  He was the one gauging time and life correctly.  His internal clock and heart were not being manipulated, no matter what the artificial, mechanical clock and his imperfect human buddy said.  Humans sometimes make up their own rules to live by and such rules are transitory.

And, Harry Pupper’s Rules are never transitory.  They’re the authentic and inspire every one of us to live with our heart on the outside.

No comments: