Monday, February 26, 2018

Miracle of the Steers


The contrast of black steers standing in a white-out

Miracle of the Steers

It was a raging blizzard outside so I was glad to have been able to retreat into the warm protection of home, where I was comfortably working at my desk.

“I just saw a cow running up the street!  Where are ours?” 

The words came crashing through my calm warmth.

“I just saw them in the pasture as I drove up.”  I replied.

“They’re not there now!  They’re running up the street!”

I could hardly see out the window through the flying snow.  They could still be there, I thought.  But, I couldn’t tell for sure.

“They’re our cows and their running back down the street!”

“How could they have gotten out?”  I said, as I headed toward the door to get bundled up in preparation for braving the blizzard to heard our steers back to the safety of home.

As soon as I walked out of the door I could see nothing but blowing snow.  The flying ice was punishing my face as I stared up the street to the east and then scanned north and west hoping to see where the whirlwind steers had gone.  I saw only white!  There was no black fur punctuating the stark white horizon.  So, I decided to walk toward my big red gate to see if it had somehow been opened to assist the fleeing steers.

As I drew near the gate’s red frame, my eyes, open wide and peering through protective goggles, gawked in surprise.  There were frosted, black steers standing in their pasture, just inside an open gate!

“Good boys!” I said as I spoke their names while wrapping the chain around the anchor pole.  Then I slipped the chain into its latching-groove, just before I walked back to my garage to get a strong metal carabiner to act as containment insurance.

“That’s never happened before!” I muttered to myself as I pushed through knee high snow.  “It’s the miracle of the steers!”  I chuckled a little.  Then I paused, thinking.

It was a good thing they knew where their home was!  And, it’s a good thing they wanted to come home!  I spend lots of time and effort to make a great home for cows, so I felt lucky and rewarded.

“I hope I’ve spent enough time and effort to accomplish the same for my family and friends!”  I thought. “Being surrounded by loved ones that want to be together, not because they’re chained in, but because they want to be there for the warmth, protection and love is the true definition of home.”

It was a raging blizzard outside so I was glad to have been able to retreat into the warm protection of home, where I was comfortably working at my desk.  I felt at peace knowing that this miracle of the steers reminded me that we can all enjoy the rewarding miracle of home by giving our time and love to those that matter to us most.

No comments: