Sunday, February 11, 2018

Building Our Own Mountains to Climb


“She was overwhelmed with everything so we decided to give her some help!” – Kim Fish

Building Our Own Mountains to Climb

Kim and I have a mutual friend, Crickett Raulston.  She’s a delightful woman with bright, dancing eyes and a ready smile.  So, I couldn’t think of a more deserving person when Kim told me she was in a meeting, helping Crickett, when I called the other day.

Kim said, “She was overwhelmed with everything so we decided to give her some help!”

I replied, “That’s great!  It isn’t like she doesn’t know what to do.  She’s capable and smart in her business, but she’s just like the rest of us!  Sometimes we build our own mountains to climb!”

Yes.  I create my own mountains to climb as well!  There are times when tasks, everyday life events, are pushed up and grow into monumental obstacles for no apparent reason at all.  Do you know what I mean?

Are there times when you do as I do, make a small thing into a huge obstacle?  Here’s an example.  I have a call to make to someone and I put it off.  I stew about it.  I fret about it.  I make up all kinds of myths about all the bad that will assuredly happen if I pick up that phone and touch the number.  I can take such simple things and turn them into Mount Everest!  Sometimes it gets to the point that I look at “that” small thing and rather than see it for what it really is, simple, I see it as if It’s something I’ve never done before and could never, ever do.

When we were talking on the phone, Kim and I both knew of Crickett’s proficiency and experience!  She knows what to do in business and she’s capable of doing it alone, because she’s done it a million times before.  And, she’s always succeeded!  And, during that same phone call I knew that Kim had also discovered the “Mountain Busting Principle.”

Kim’s Mountain Busting Principle is:  Climbing a mountain, big or small, is always easier and more enjoyable when you’re with others who want to be there with you.  When friends and family are with you during trying times, somehow the focus shifts from the worrisome to the joy of being together.  Another one of my friends gained insight into this principle, from his girlfriend, when we were in college together.

He was having a difficult time preparing for final exams because he’d been so focused on school that his apartment had become pure chaos.  When he spoke of this frustrating circumstance to his girlfriend she dropped everything and came over to help him get his home back in order.  When she arrived he said, “You’re studying for your own exams!  You shouldn’t be here cleaning my house with me!  Why aren’t you cleaning your own apartment?”

She replied, “Because, if I was cleaning my own place, I’d simply be cleaning.  But, when I’m here cleaning, I’m with you!”

“I’m with you!”  Her insightful words came rushing back through my heart as I spoke with Kim.  She was helping Crickett!  And, they were climbing life’s mountain with joy because they were together.

No comments: