Monday, February 20, 2017

The Unbridled Path

A Wild Ride

The Unbridled Path

“I know she wants to ride your horse, but I think he is too spirited for her.”  My father said to my uncle Frank.  “Let’s put her on his back, in the saddle, while I hold the reigns.”

I watched as the two men worked together.  My father took the reins in his tight grip.  My uncle carefully lifted my sister and put her in the saddle atop the large dark horse.  Everything was calm.  People were smiling.

Then, in an instant, the smiles evaporated!  I stood confused as my parents and the other adults were suddenly rushing around in a panic.  Soon, I was left with the other small children to wait and wait in the small sheep camp while we wondered what had happened to turn our outing upside down.

Hours later, I was looking down from the sheep camp out toward the sage covered hillside when I saw my father running.  He was carrying my blanket-bundled sister in his arms as he approached.  It was then that I learned about the dangers of an unbridled path.

Something had spooked the large horse causing him to jerk his head back in surprise.  In doing so he yanked the reins from by father’s hands and bolted.  Being large, strong and afraid, he quickly ran away from those that could bridle him.  He was on an uncontrolled path and running.

My sister held tight to the saddle horn so she could stay atop as he ran.  She bobbed up and down and her fear intensified as she saw only large rocks and sage all around.  There was no escape!  Yet, she caught a glimpse of hope.

“I saw a small patch of sand!  I sort of jumped and fell hoping to get off as best I could.”  My sister told us as we huddled to hear her adventurous tale.  And, her courage has stayed with me as an example, of how to get off a bad path, for more than fifty years now.

Every one of us has had a time where, in a seemingly small instant of time, our path has been shifted from one of peace and happiness to one of danger and uncertainty.  Often, we get on this unwelcomed path through no fault of our own.  Yet, there we are, in a bad situation with nothing but “sage and boulders” all around, and no obvious escape.  But, escape we must, for our own sake!

We must leap and fall toward a “small patch of sand” and then rely on the goodness and mercy of our loved ones to find us, wrap us in their arms and then carry us to safety.   While such action is very scary it is really the only good choice!

A life saving choice, because that large dark horse continued to run and run and wasn’t found for more than a week later! When discovered, he had torn the saddle from his back and had traveled more than fifty miles well into the extended, Nevada high desert. 

Yes.  That horse was spirited!


My sister was more spirited!  She had the courage to take a leap toward safety even though she wasn’t sure there was any.  She looked for her best option and then acted while hoping for the best!  She couldn’t take the reins, but she opted to get of the unbridled path.

No comments: