Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Giving Pattern

“Go out into the community and give!”

The Giving Pattern
“How are things going?” I asked the young man standing in my office doorway.

“Oh, O.K.” He said, as he sheepishly glanced at me and then looked down toward the carpet.

“That good, Huh?” I quickly replied.  I could see that he was struggling and I wanted to help, so I continued.  “Have you been using the Law of the Harvest?”

That’s when he glanced back up and answered with, “what’s that?”

Some people believe that the Law of the Harvest only applies to farming.  And, I can see why.  Our economic base changed from agrarian to industrial more than a century ago and then during our lifetime it changed again to an information economy.  Now, we live in a time where the vast majority of the population has little or no experience with farming or ranching.  So, being a hobby rancher, I began to teach my friend about the The Law of the Harvest.

If you want to grow a plant, you get a seed, prepare fertile soil, combine them in a particular way and then add water, sunlight and attention.  The seed will soon sprout and grow.  Then, you keep watering and tending to its needs until it produces its crop.  Only then can you harvest the produce.  When it’s fully developed you receive & enjoy the results of your work.

“O.K.”  He said.  “But, what does that have to do with my business?”

“It means you need to go out into the community and give.”  I answered.

“Oh, so it’s like give and take?”

“No.  It’s give, give, give.”

“Give, give, take, take?”

“No.  It is give, give, give and then receive!”  I answered.  “When you become skilled at giving you never need to take.  The Law of the Harvest teaches us that when you give in the right way, do within the gathering pattern, you never need to take.  You always receive a generous return.”

Then, I asked him what was important to him.  What did he want to go out and give?  I suddenly saw a gleam begin to radiate in his eyes.  He told me of his passion and left to go do his good. 

-->

My doorway way was empty again.  My friend began to follow the giving pattern and it was working!  He had already made me feel warm inside.

No comments: