Monday, July 25, 2016

The Additive Pattern

Cultivating my Vineyard

The Additive Pattern

Some call it the “dog days of summer;” the sultry part of summer.  These days occur when Sirius, the “Dog Star,” rises at the same time as the sun (July 3 to August 11).  They’re commonly viewed as a period of lethargy, inactivity, or indolence.  I could see why as I was working diligently to cultivate my vineyard. I could feel the burning, unrelenting summer sun doing its best to break my spirit.  But, it wasn’t working.

I looked to my right and saw a Robin just steps away.  It is unusual for this reddish-breasted American Thrush to allow me to be so close.  So, I began to take notice of him as I progressed down the long row of vines.

His wings were extended slightly, his beak was open and panting, and he clung to the shade of the vines.  I’d step and he would step.  He was watching me carefully as well!  He was watching something else too! 

I could see a pattern here.  So could he!

During this time of year my vines cast a span much wider than the wings of any one bird.  In the early spring I prune each vine back to the trunk, just leaving a couple of buds where I want them to burst out and away.  It’s because I know that the grapes will only produce fruit from new growth.  And, now, during the dog days of summer, I’m seeing bushels of fruit hanging down amid the leafy green, new-season’s growth.  The beauty is a breathtaking display of “additive growth.”  It’s an annual pattern and it drives purpose.

When a person understands the additive growth pattern they can begin to appreciate the value it creates and how it’s essentially linked to purpose.  If I didn’t understand it, I wouldn’t be withstanding the sun’s attempts to make me into just one more raisin, dehydrated, yet sweetened by its rays. And, neither would the robin standing just a few steps from me.

I do this dance with robins and other birds every summer.  This one looked liked just any other bird.  But, he wasn’t just any other bird.  He was a scout!

We were both scouting the crop before us.  I was clearing the grass and other water competitors from around the vines while judging the bounty and quality of the coming harvest.  He was judging the bounty, quality and readiness of the harvest.  We were both preparing to race!

I watch.  He watches.  When the grapes are fully ripe he’ll know!  He is often more attentive than I.  When he is, the birds will win our contest and strip every grape from the vines before I can get my hands on them!  Birds have a perfect understanding of the additive growth pattern and purpose!

I’ve learned a lot from my competitors and their relationship with “our,” the birds and my, vines.  They both help me remember that in order to become something more, everyone needs to be trimmed back on a regular basis.  And, by accepting this universal truth, we can become better and stronger, than we were before, as a result.

So, next time you’re feeling as if the sun has won and made you into a raisin, that you’re the dog that has been kicked, or the bones picked over by the birds, remember that it is all just part of an amazing, purpose driving pattern.  Allow the power of this additive pattern to make you into a better, more productive, happier person.


Now, I’ve got to go.  The birds are watching my grapes!

No comments: