Monday, March 7, 2016

A Little Cupcake

“When I first moved in, the little girl from next door came over with a small plate and a couple of cupcakes.”  - Jon Campbell

A Little Cupcake


My friend Jon worked with me to purchase a beautiful home just over one year ago and I made it a point to check in with him the other day.  As we talked on the telephone he invited me to come and see how he’s made it his own.  I was excited to see him and how he’s settled in.

When I drove up his long, winding drive the first thing I saw was an amazing newly finished structure just to the back and left of his house.  It stretched up into the sky in front of me because it was a large two-story garage, which I knew would be filled with his current auto automobile restoration projects. It stayed true to the exterior of his home; it was a perfect match.

It was also the perfect match for Jon and his personal style.  He’s a large man with a disarming smile and as I pulled in I watched him saunter out of his built-in garage.  His movement reminded me of a large brown bear and I could see how just the sight of him could be a little scary for someone who didn’t know he’s really just a life-sized teddy.  I didn’t know it then, but I was watching an introduction to the new move-in story Jon was about to tell me.

“My neighbors are real nice.  When I first moved in, the little girl from next-door came over with a small plate and a couple of cupcakes.  She was dressed in a long flowing sundress and was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.  I think she was a little nervous to talk to me.”  Jon said.

“When she looked up at me in a frightened manner and offered me this wonderful gift it made me tear up!”  Jon expressed as I watched his eyes well up again as he recounted the experience.

At that moment, I could see how much this small act of neighborly kindness still meant to Jon more than one year later.  It reminded me of how important even the smallest acts of kindness are.  Simple gestures that may be viewed by us as modest or insignificant are often life changing events for those who are the recipients.  They are the pure definition of the word neighbor.


Little cupcakes along with a heart felt welcome by caring neighbors are truly sweet confections.  Will you make a small neighborly gesture to change someone’s life today?

No comments: