Monday, April 6, 2015

Ragain Your Creativity


“You aren’t an art major are you?”- My college art teacher

Regain Your Creativity

“You’re a pretty good artist in a distorted way.” My teacher said to me when I was in high school.

I remember thinking after she said that.  “She was trying to be nice, while saying that I wasn’t good at drawing.”

I liked to draw, so I kept drawing and drawing.  That is, I kept at it until I was in college.

I was excited when I could take a drawing class to fulfill a liberal education credit.  It was basic drawing.  I felt like a real artist when I had to go out and purchase the materials I was to use in class.  It felt good to me and I was really enjoying the class as it went along.

I could see the work of the other students.  Some of their work was really good and I could see there was a dramatic difference between what they produced and my own work.  I could see what I was drawing wasn’t quite right, but I didn’t know what to do to correct it.  Then, as I was trying to do my very best work in class, the teacher came over to me and asked a question.

“You aren’t an art major, are you?

“No.” I replied.

“Good!”  He said with a smile.  “You’ll do alright in this class, but don’t take any more art.”

I’ve laughed at his response to my work for many years now.  But, there has also been a down side.  I interpreted his comment as telling me that there was no value in my personal creativity!  I even coined a cynical statement as a result.

“Art is just some guy’s name.”

But, I have always known a different truth.  Personal creativity is important in life.  It opens new learning opportunities and teaches valuable lessons unattainable through other pursuits.

Have you come to believe that there is no value in your own personal creativity? If you have, try the following steps to regain what has been stolen from you.

First, know that you are pursuing creativity for yourself.  There are a relatively few people who become famous across the world and generations for their creative works.  On the other hand, I have enjoyed books on my Kindle that were written for the shear joy of writing.  The authors charge me nothing for their work.  But, their writing has given me pleasure and joy.  I’m a better person for having enjoyed their creative pursuit.

Second, pursue your creativity on a regular basis.  I’ve found that by scheduling a regular time each week and dedicating myself to being more imaginative, that I’ve been able to produce work that other wise would have gone wanting.  I now view my creative block as a time for personal discovery, where life becomes more magical and meaningful.

Third, share your work with others.  Some will appreciate it and others will not.  It’s hard when others don’t appreciate the work of your creative self.  But, when others value what you’ve done, it is exalting and encouraging.  Their encouragement will cause you to keep at it and do your best.

Finally. When you realize that you can’t be a whole person without embracing your own creativity you’ll begin to create for your own sake.  I learned this from my friend Julie, an actress on Broadway.

“I found that I couldn’t live without acting.  When I made that personal breakthrough, I also discovered that I was already a successful actress.  I was acting because I loved it and it no longer mattered what the critics said.  It didn’t matter that I had to wait tables to pay my bills.  I acted because I was alive!”

Are you alive?  Regain your creativity.  Find your life. 

No comments: