Monday, March 23, 2015

Receiving Tender Mercies


Tory Wilson

Receiving Tender Mercies

Deafening silence right after a loud gasp caused me to turn immediately.  I looked across the floor to see Tory lying still, perceptively motionless.  There were 28,800 eyes staring in disbelief and horror.  They recognized cruelty when they saw it!  They also knew tender mercy when they saw it. 

A svelte, strong man ran over and swept her up in his arms, off of the carpeted floor, and they began to walk as one toward the training room. Her arms were wrapped around his neck and her head was cradled against his chest as he crossed the arena floor.  Everyone in the arena stood and applauded.  Even the opposing teams and their fans joined in the reverence.

The reverence was not just a result of the injury.  It was a universal demonstration of appreciation.  Tory had won everyone’s respect through performance that very night.  She had captured all hearts at the beginning.

I was sitting next to the head judge for the vault as the PAC 12 Championships began.  When Utah’s team was introduced, the crowed roared.  She turned to me and mouthed one word, WOW!  I had to read her lips as the wave of sound swelled until it swallowed everything.  That was just the start of amazing performance.

I was excited when Tory began her vault.  Anticipation filled the air.  She completed the scene with perfection!

“She’s the best blocker I’ve ever seen!”  I said to the head judge next to me.

“It gave me chills!”  She replied.  “I felt goose bumps running all up and down my arms.  See, I wrote ‘gave me goose bumps’ on my scoring sheet!  I’ve never given anyone a 10 before!”

I caught a last glimpse of Tory being carried into the tunnel; her perfection temporarily masked by injury.  At this moment she was a little more like the rest of us.

There are times when all of us need help from others, when we need to receive mercy due to circumstance.  Tory’s injury shows that even the strongest and best of us face such times.  And, she has also demonstrated perfect grace in receiving mercy of others.

Tory will heal.  She’ll receive the best care possible.  She’ll continue to feel the love of everyone she has shared her gifts with.

I’m excited to receive her greatest gift.  Showing that we will all need care and mercy from others at some point.  And, when we do, we should accept mercy with grace, allow others to care and help heal us and then vault into a bright future with renewed strength.

No comments: