Monday, January 12, 2015

Give me a Break!


“I just didn’t accomplish anything in 2014.” – Phil Grimm

Give me a Break!
A group of us were headed to dinner.  It was a cool, but not cold evening.  So, we decided to walk the short distance down 200 South Street to our chosen location.  Our walk gave me a chance to talk with my friend Phil.

Phil is one of the most successful people I know.  I love to work with him because it allows me to see things the way he sees them.  He sees things much the same as I do, but he sees things I don’t see and I marvel.  I use our time together to learn how to see what he sees, because if I can adjust my thinking to incorporate the way he thinks, I’ll benefit a lot.  Now that I’m with him, I’m doing what I almost always do.  I listen.

“I’m going to do better this year!”  Phil says to me.  “Last year was just a blur.  I just didn’t accomplish anything in 2014.”

Phil is always generous to me and I’m wondering why he isn’t being very generous to himself.  I know he accomplished a lot.  But that isn’t his view right now, so I listen and make sure he knows I’ll do anything I can to help him reach his goals.  I also have an “I’m looking at myself in the mirror” moment.

As I look into that mirror I realize that I have a habit of being real critical when it comes to how I live my own life.  Maybe it’s the society we live in.  Maybe it’s just a few of us who are driven to keep pushing toward achievement.  That’s why my friend Michael Sears describes us as “Mushers.”

A musher is a person who is constantly working, someone who is personally demanding.  As I listen to Phil a life changing thought comes rushing like a high velocity wind.

“Give yourself a break.”

The thought wasn’t for Phil.  I was giving a Phil the break he deserved.  I know how hard he works and all he accomplishes!  The thought was reflected in my mirror.

Now I’m taking steps to learn how to be a little more generous to myself, how to be more kind.  And, I’ve started by creating a “shift” phrase, “Give me a Break!”  When I am feeling as if I haven’t done all I wanted to do, I haven’t reacted the way I ought, or I’m not everything I want to be, I’m saying to myself, “Give me a Break!” 

It’s making a difference!  Give it a try.  I can’t think of anyone who deserves a break more than you!

No comments: