Monday, January 26, 2015

Breaking Free


Merlin on a tether.

Breaking Free

I was making some fifteen-bean soup a cold winter morning.  When I woke up and looked out the window I saw frost; that’s why I had the idea.  As I was working away in my kitchen I looked out through the window again and saw Merlin, my daughter’s dog, out sniffing around.

He ran this way and that.  Looking.  Sniffing. Tangling!

Rather than run out to get him free of his predicament I waited, just so I could see what he did. 

At first he simply sat and barked for a little help to come his way.  Then when the help didn’t come, he turned on his little haunches and went to where his tether was loose.  When he felt a strong pull on his harness he stopped and when the other way.  But, he was never able to follow his tether around the tree that shortened his leash and inhibited his ability to run forward freely.  He couldn’t see the connection.

I could see the connection because of my vantage point.  I also knew how to deal with the entanglement because of my years of experience.  He’s still a young puppy, a Welsh Corgi isn’t too high off the ground, and lacks experience.  He couldn’t see the reason for his inability to run and do the things he loves!  I decided to help.

I walked out and guided him around the tree that held him bound.  Showed him he was free of it and then walked back with him into the house where he would feel comfort and safety.

Don’t you and I want to feel the same kind of comfort and safety in our lives?  Don’t we want to overcome our challenges successfully and then return home in personal triumph?  I’ve never met anyone without this need and desire.  Yet, we’ve all faced the dilemma of little Merlin in same way.

When in our home, I rubbed his little ears and thought to myself, “I’m just like you!  I seem to get stuck over and over again and then I react in the same way over and over again.  I whine a little, bark a little and hope that someone will come to my rescue.”

So, here I go, I’m making another commitment to you my friend.  Next time I’m out in the big world doing what I do, sniffing around a little, there will come a time when I hit the end of my self-created tether.  I’ll wonder why I can’t move forward.  That’s when and where I’ll stop.  But this time I’ll choose not to sit, bark and whine.

Merlin has shown me that if I’ll simply follow my tether back to the beginning, carefully, I’ll be able to identify the tree that is deeply rooted and holding me back.  I’ll recognize it for what it is, a simple barrier that needs to be challenged by moving around it in a way I’ve never tried before.

Doing what I’ve never tried before is a scary task.  It looms in front of me as an unconquerable giant.  But, I can conquer myself! I’ll realize I created the first trail and follow it back to a release point.  Then I’ll break a new trail, past my barrier, toward success.

I’ve seen successful, little, Merlin often.  He runs free, like the wind!  His triangular ears are pinned back in aerodynamic form!  He has a smile and an amazing look of joy as he relishes running free.  I don’t have an aerodynamic ear formation and don’t run very fast, but I look forward to the joy I’ll feel as I break my self-created tethers one at a time!

No comments: