Monday, December 1, 2014

You're Window Inside


“We’re just starting the process.” – Gary Jackson

Your Window Inside
I got an email from my friend Gary asking me to call him.  It had been a while since we had talked so I was excited to give him a call.  When I was able to speak with him he said something important.  “We’re just starting the process.”

“I’m not worried about my time.” I replied.  “It’s important for you to take the time to fully complete your internal process.  You guys always make good decisions!”

When we finished our conversation, I thought to myself, “I wonder how many people know they have a personal process for decision making?”

I think it took me more than thirty-five years before I even began to figure out that I had my own personal process.  But once began to recognize it, I began to pay attention to what was happening with my struggling insides.  The first thing I discovered was the amount of time it took for me to become comfortable.

In working with other people, I’ve noticed that almost everyone begins their internal process long before they know it.  It generally starts with a kind of restless searching.  They don’t know what they’re looking for.  All they know is that they’re “looking for something.”  Knowing that your internal process begins one or two years before you’re ready to make an important decision will help reduce stressful, “I’ve been worried about this forever!” feelings you’ve faced before.  It will also give you comfort, knowing you can trust yourself to go the distance.

When you know you can trust your internal process to help you make great decisions, they become much easier.  Don’t get me wrong.  There is still plenty of work to do.  But, it becomes familiar territory for you.  A good example of this is when you return home after a trip.

I flew back to Salt Lake City about two weeks ago.  When I looked out of the airplane window to see the towering snowcapped mountains cutting into the azure blue sky, a comfortable easing overtook my whole being.  I still had work to do, disembark the plane, ride the shuttle to my car and drive home, but all of that seemed inconsequential compared to the peace I was feeling.  It’s the same kind of thing once you’ve discovered your own internal process and you know you’re on track.

We can all see our own process if we simply look through our window inside.  Use your internal window to look into your past to discover what your personal process is.  Then look for your landmarks to ensure you can see where you are in the process.  When you can see where you are, everything else will seem inconsequential because you’ll be on familiar ground and will know your way home.

No comments: