Monday, December 22, 2014

A New View


“I’ve lived in New York all my life and have never seen it from this view!”

A New View
It felt as if we were standing on top of the world.  Lights were sparkling as far as we could see.  The amazing diamond spectacle surrounding us made braving winter’s cold wind worth the walk out onto the terrace to savor our special moment.

There are some special moments in life that will take your breath away.  These are life-changing times in every person’s life that deserve to be cherished.  I had one of those just this week.  My daughter Jessi got married in New York.

To celebrate this special event we had reception in a rooftop solarium on the South side of Central Park.  We enjoyed the company of friends and family with music and food.  We laughed, ate and got to know each other better.  But, when one of my daughter’s friends said, “I’ve lived in New York all my life and have never seen it from this view!” it really made me think.

It’s so easy to live life without looking for the extraordinary in our day-to-day lives.  Sometimes we walk through common, even presumably mundane events hundreds of times and fail to see a new view that can enlighten, enliven and enhance our souls. Our friend told me that she had walked past our reception place hundreds of times and had no idea that an extraordinary view existed just a few floors above.  “This solarium and terrace have the most spectacular view of the city I’ve ever seen!”  It is an enchanting place.  I wanted my daughter to remember it always. 

I once had a friend who said, “When I want to take a picture I simply look at what I want to remember and treasure it up in my heart.  That way I can go back there when ever I want.”

So, I walked up to my daughter and said, “Jessi, make sure you take Ren out on the terrace and savor this moment so it will last forever in your hearts.”

She took him by the hand and went out of the door to the terrace.  I watched as they shivered together and took in the view.  Their skin was cold, but their hearts were warm.  They took the time to treasure up their moment so it would be locked up within their memory.  It was that very moment that gave them a new view, a vision that transformed their night into a moment that will last a lifetime.

No comments: