Monday, November 3, 2014

Bravery


“I have chemo scheduled for the morning, but I’ll be there in the afternoon.” –Clint Robertson

Bravery

“We have a presentation that would benefit you tomorrow beginning at three in the afternoon.”  I said

“I have chemo scheduled for the morning, but I’ll be there in the afternoon.” Clint replied.

I looked across the table at him with wondering eyes.  I hadn’t known Clint for very long, but he always has a positive outlook and a pleasant air about him.  He could tell I had a question coming so he volunteered more information.

“I have a chemo treatment in the morning, but I don’t start to get sick until the next morning unless I try to eat.  So, I’m pretty sure I can make it.  I’m really looking forward to it.”  He explained.

I was sympathetic in a way that only those of us who have had a battle with cancer can be.  As Clint unwaveringly spoke to me, I watched as his stature grew and grew before my eyes.

“I wish you well!” I said.  “I will do anything I can to help you.”

The next afternoon arrived and so did Clint.  I greeted him and asked if he was all right to be there.

“I’m doing well.” He said.  “I just won’t eat any food.

Everyone around him was eating, watching and getting to know the others in our meeting.  He was doing the same, except for the food part.  The other people, not knowing Clint, had no idea he had fire running through his veins at that very moment.  He had no idea that he had just become my new characterization of bravery.

I knew the next day would be his worst.  I called him in the afternoon just to see how things were going.  He didn’t answer.  I left a voice mail message along with a prayer for him in my heart. 

My prayer was answered soon. Not long after my call an email popped up on my screen telling me he was doing well enough and thanking me for fitting a call to him into my busy schedule.  He was also preparing for our meeting the next day.

We met the next afternoon with some other colleagues in a Cooperative Venturing session to work on his business.  It was only then that I found out how he hard he had worked, while so desperately ill, the day before and through the current day.

The thought of the current day had new meaning for me as I listened to Clint speak to our group.  He was facing the current day and every day as if they really mattered.  I could tell how much each day mattered to him by the way he bravely faced up to every challenge that came his way.

“I couldn’t live with myself if I did it any other way.”  He explained to me when I posited a question to him.

Are you and I answering life’s challenges with such bravery?

No comments: