Monday, September 9, 2013

Getting Lucky


“Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure.”
-Earl Nightingale

Getting Lucky

For a large portion of my life I thought that the most successful people in the world were “luckier” than everyone else.  I don’t think my mind began to change until I watched the “lucky” Steve Jobs just get luckier and luckier.  When he returned to Apple and turned his company around I knew that my simple-minded theory of lucky people had been completely disproven!  That thought lost all of its credibility within my mind and I began to search for the truth of good fortune.
Since that time I’ve deliberately watched lucky people and have noticed that successful people habitually put themselves in situations where good things are likely to happen.  Good things seemingly just show up for them.  They’re always in the right place at the right time.  I had this principle pointed out and demonstrated to me directly by my friends Lorraine and Kristin a few years ago.

Kristin, Lorraine and I were working together when all of a sudden one of the best cottages in Park City became available and was offered directly to Kristin.  I was amazed at the good fortune that had occurred, but Lorraine causally said, “This kind of thing happens for her all the time.  It’s amazing!”
During lunch with Kristin and Lorraine this week I watched a man come up and warmly greet Kristin.  It was clear that they had enjoyed a great relationship for many years.  At the moment of this occurrence the thought, “Lucky people put themselves in places where they’re apt to meet interesting people” came racing through my mind.

Our conversation during lunch allowed me to learn about other, just as interesting, attributes of lucky people.  Lorraine and Kristin are lifelong learners who frequently attend classes, symposiums and conferences.  They have broad and varying interests and I’ve watched them set goals and follow through on them with deliberate action.  They’re always involved in something interesting and revealing.
Their intense curiosity reveals itself in every conversation.   They don’t hesitate to talk to strangers where ever they are.  They ask lots of questions so it effectively positions them to attract good fortune in the way of contacts, advice and assistance.  They view life as a wonderful adventure that reveals itself to everyone who is interested.  They are interested in life and all that it has to offer.  And, as a result, they are interesting and exciting people to be with. 

While we were together last, we were talking about things that were interesting to all of us and when I spoke of one place in particular Kristin looked up at Lorraine and said, with a sparkle in her eye, “I think we better go there and see it, don’t you?”  Lucky people show up. 
Luck will show up for you too if you’ll simply step out to meet interesting people, become a lifelong learner, be curious and act when the time is right.  You’re a bright and capable person.   It’s your time to live life as a wonderful adventure and let it reveal itself to you as you live it.  Let it surprise you. Get lucky.

No comments: