Sunday, March 10, 2013

Remembering Pure Joy


Bre Instefjord receiving metals after competing in a gymnastics meet

Remembering Pure Joy

My friend Bre practices her Gymnastics hard several days each week.  There are some days in which she struggles, but she does it because she loves it.  I know she loves it because she works through her struggles and stays with it until she conquers each new challenging skill as she grows.
She isn’t the first girl I’ve seen go through this process.  I had two daughters of my own who loved competing as gymnasts.  They would work until their hands became raw on some days.  But they kept at it until those same hands became thick with calluses.

I remember watching one day when one of my girls “ripped” her hand while working her bar routine.  Her callused skin had split wide open and her eyes were filled with tears.  When the other girls saw what had happened they all rushed over and gave her hugs and pats saying, “Congratulations! You got your first rip, way to go!”  When next I was able to see my daughter’s face, the tears were gone and she was beaming with pride.  I know the pain was still there, but her satisfaction as having accomplished something that few people in the world had done soothed her pain as if she were wrapped in a blanket while sipping chicken noodle soup. 
Accomplishment achieved as a result of hard work, coupled with sincere admiration from loved ones is perhaps the greatest joy a person can experience in life.  But, as life presses in upon us from time to time it is also a principle we begin to let drift into a descended brain fog.  It’s so easy to get discouraged and disheartened.

I was falling prey to just such feelings the other day when Bre’s Grandmother asked me over to see video of the awards ceremony from the 25th Annual Cryatal Cup Gymnastics Competition.  I watched Bre stand and have five metals draped around her neck!  But what I really saw was a face that shown bright as the sun, fueled by a bursting chest of excitement!  She was the definition of pure joy.
My little internal voice said, “Remember that feeling?  You should. That’s accomplishment achieved as a result of hard work!”

I was humbled at the sight and internal message.  It made me want to be a hard worker again.  It made me want to show sincere admiration for the others around me who had received their first rip as a result of their hard work that day.
 If that’s you, congratulations on getting your first rip.  Keep up the good work.  Your awards ceremony is coming up soon!

No comments: