Sunday, September 16, 2012

Rockin' Good


9/11 Charity Golf Tournament and Concert

Rockin’ Good

Once in a while I run into to someone who redefines what “possible” means.  When I do meet such a person I’m forced me reevaluate my own beliefs.  My mind is stretched and my personal reality is shifted in a profound way.  Such people create a sort of emotional or spiritual sense of certainty as to what is possible.   And, when they change my perspective they not only alter my experience, they can also change the world in an exponential way.  I saw this process culminate first hand this week as my friend Danny Marz executed the first annual 9/11Charity Golf Tournament and Concert.
I watched Danny plan and work to put this event together over the past few months.  He said, “I want to do something to benefit our soldiers who have been wounded while protecting our freedom.”

He developed a relationship with Operating Rebound so he would have a vehicle to provide the help he wanted to give and then he began to reach out to others to help.  He personally went door to door contacting businesses seeking sponsors.  He called music and sports celebrities asking them to come so they would be an additional draw to attendance.  He hired and scheduled the venue.  He selected a headline band to come and play.  Then he backed up the venue with three different warm up bands.  He recruited volunteers to help manage the event on September 11th.   Finally, he partnered with a major radio station to market this important charitable event.
When I arrived to volunteer I was amazed to see the number of volunteers I knew.  It was wonderful to see the celebrities who were there to give.  It was heartwarming to see the crowds of people who were there to give money and their time to such a worthy cause.

Danny made sure that his cause was leveraged by more than 1000 as a result of his vision.  Participants were emotionally and spiritually engaged and the world was changed immeasurably.  I know my life was and everyone I talked with is excited to work together again next year.
I saw Danny again today.  We’re going to participate in an additional charitable event hosted by another friend of ours this week.  Until I began to associate with such good and giving people I had no idea that so much good could be accomplished.   I thought I understood the description of a mathematical entity that involves the transcendental number raised to an exponent, the concept of becoming greater in size, until I saw what adding numbers of good people simultaneously could accomplish.

I have learned that good people combining their desire and action to do good things will cause greater good to be accomplished.  The people around us will combine with us to benefit charitable causes if we simply ask.  Ask them to help you fulfill your dreams of giving and you’ll have a new sense of certainty that great things are coming.  My friend Ed said, “Doing good as a group has changed the whole feeling and dynamic of my son’s neighborhood.  Without having the opportunity to serve neighbors, the truly great things about living in a neighborhood would have remained undiscovered.”
Discover the truly great things about living in your neighborhood and community; be rockin’ good.

No comments: