Monday, December 5, 2011


“He said if they couldn’t solve the problem themselves then he would solve it for them.”
- Brent Nay

Accumulated Life
My friend Brent is always talking about becoming a farmer.  It has been his lifelong dream.  He was telling me about it a couple of days ago.  I listened intently wondering what was so appealing to him.  But as I listened to his enthusiastically delivered stories it soon became clear to me.

“My friend had to milk the family cow every morning and every night until he went away to college.” He said.

As Brent continued on I could see the sparkle in his eyes and his passion was radiating from his entire face.

“He had two younger sisters who took over the milking chore when he went away.  Once, when he came home for a visit, his sisters were arguing at the dinner table over whose turn it was to milk.”

 When their father had had enough of the squabbling he simply looked up and said, “If you two can’t solve the problem I’ll solve it for you!” 

When Brent had finished this part of the story, my mind began to run through scenarios of how this father was going to solve the problem.  I quickly came up with three or four options and then waited in silence to hear how this father fulfilled his promise.  

“He went out the next day and bought another milk cow!” Brent finished.

I broke out laughing.  What a perfect solution!  It was nothing like the solutions I came up with!  What a man!  It caused my mind to reflect on another beloved ranching.

A rancher’s daughter went away to college and married a biologist.  The ranch was near Yellowstone National Park so there are hot streams that flow into the river there.  The new son-in-law would come every summer with his family and spend the entire time out in the streams and river taking measurements.  After years and years the father, rancher finally asked his son-in-law what he had been doing all these years.

The young man sat up proudly and said, “I’ve been taking water samples and studying what happens when the warm water runs into the cold river.”

The rough-leather-faced man stared back with disbelief as he heard the words escape the boy’s mouth.  “You’ve spent all these years trying to find that answer?” he finally replied.

“It makes the river water warmer!  All you had to do is ask me.  I would have told you!” 

Then the older man got up and walked away from the table shaking his head.

Yes.  I understand my friend Brent’s desire to be a farmer or rancher!  Nothing is better that good old down-to-earth common sense.  I like to think of it as earned wisdom.  It’s a valuable trait that we can develop over time; perhaps it’s compensation to those of us who have dimming vision, evaporating hair and sagging skin.  

Now that I think about it, I have way too much wisdom in my life now.  But, you’re not as old and worn out as I am, so please use all the time you have left to give the rest of us all the best guidance and insight you have.  I know I could use it!

No comments: