Monday, February 21, 2011

Be Kind

"Do you need some help sir?"

  • Young Man in a Parking Lot

Be Kind

I had just left a cancelled meeting. I didn't know it was cancelled until I arrived. You'd think I would be kind of upset since I had confirmed the meeting the evening before. But, it had been a busy day and the truth was that I welcomed the short break in my heavy work schedule. It would give me some time to stop at a store and get some oil for my car.

In just a few minutes I arrived at the store and found the oil isle. I was looking for a type of oil I had never seen before so it took me a while to find it; I had no idea there were so many kinds of synthetic oil! I snatched the oil, paid for it and then walked out to my car.

Since I was enjoying found time, I thought I'd check my oil right then and there. I opened the hood, pulled the dip stick, wiped it off and thrust it in again. Sure enough, my oil was a little low so I opened the new bottle I had just purchased and began to pour it in. As I poured, a small silver Honda pulled into the parking stall next to me.

When the car stopped, a young man got out quickly and looked up at me with a smiling face.

"Are you alright sir?" He queried.

"I am. Thanks!" I said.

The young man gathered up his children and then went off to the store. I stood watching them walk away as I finished pouring my oil.

"What a nice man." I thought as I began to drive out of the parking lot. He didn't even know me. He didn't know anything about me, and still he was willing to offer his help out of concern! I continued to drive forward to my next appointment as I felt the warm glow of his gesture. Then I spotted a sign on the side of the road.

Its large red letters were sandwiched in between signs for businesses located in a small strip mall.

"Be Kind."

I thought of the young man and wondered if he had seen the, Be Kind sign as he was on his way to the store where we met. Probably not, I thought. Still, what a great sign! What a great pair!

A sign with an important message and its emissary in the form of my parking lot friend caused a large smile to stretch across my face. I could do better! I can be more kind. I can be an emissary of kindness. And, if you'll join in, there will be many more smiles stretching across faces, neighborhoods and towns. Let's all be a little kinder.

No comments: