Sunday, February 27, 2011

As I Often Do

"As often I do, I fail to take action to express my respects."

  • Dan Simons

As I Often Do

About fifty of us had gathered together to work toward the betterment of our industry and community. We were going through a process we'd been through many times before. The big difference this time was that I had been ill for the past couple of weeks and still was not feeling my best. So as the meeting went on and the discussion danced around the philosophical differences between the participants, my lack of comfort caused me to lose my patience. And, as the wrong kind of words exploded from my mouth I regretted them instantly.

But as it is in all circumstances, once words escaped they could not be recalled. So, I had to sit through the rest of the meeting filled with embarrassment and hope. I was embarrassed by acting precipitately and I hoped that the others in the meeting would judge me by the character I had demonstrated to them over the years rather than my most current words.

A couple of days passed, but my embarrassment and hope didn't. That is until I got an email from my friend Dan Simons.

"I have observed your strengths, passions, and fight for right."

My hope had been fulfilled! Most importantly, my hope of learning for great people was also fulfilled. I reflected on the lesson being taught to me by a man I respect a great deal. I wondered how many times I had missed the opportunity to express my respect for others when they could have been uplifted by a few kind words from me. But, I can do nothing about all save the most recent occurrences.

So I've decided to follow Dan's example "to take action to express my respects" as often as possible from this day forward. I want everyone possible to feel the rush of warmth radiate throughout their body as they read the heartfelt words written by the hand of a true friend. I'll never forget Dan's expressions or the feelings delivered and I hope you'll do the same for someone else.

Let's make "As I often do" a description for our character of taking action to express our respects and love to those around us every day.

No comments: