Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Greatest Revolution

"My father was a soldier in Mao's army."

  • Marshall Ding

The Greatest Revolution

I was sitting at a table in a large, beautiful house in Holladay, Utah. Holladay is an upscale neighborhood in the Salt Lake City area; I was in the same neighborhood where at least one NBA player lives. In fact, the player's back yard shares a fence with the yard of the house in which I was sitting. The owner of the house was sitting across the table from me and I was getting to know him.

He's Chinese. I knew that. I could tell that he wasn't "Chinese American" because of his accent. He wasn't speaking Native American English. But the English he was speaking was very good and I could tell he'd been in the United States for a long time. I just didn't know how long yet.

I also knew he'd been in the USA for quite a while because his son was sitting not far from us. His manner was American. His dress was American. He was a typical American Teenager; his eyes rarely left the floor and he didn't say much. He was getting ready to have a bit-to-eat and then study.

I was studying his father. I listened to what he was saying. I was dazzled by his story.

He had come to the United States at the age of 27, just after he completed Chinese Medical School. He was skilled in the arts of natural healing. He has a medical practice in the Salt Lake Area. He has done well for himself.

"I'm living the American Dream," he said to me.

"My father was a soldier in Mao's army. I came here because I wanted to be free to pursue my dreams. I wanted my children to grow up here. I've done well."

"The thing is," he paused for a moment.

"The thing is, all you have to do is work hard, save your money, and make good decisions. That's all I've done. It's what all of the immigrants I know do. I've talked with immigrants from Russia and all over Eastern Europe. There are a lot of them here. They all ask me the same question, "Why don't the people who live here get it?"

"Get what?" I replied.

"Why don't they understand what the American Dream means?" He said. "My father fought for his dream and that's why I've been able to get a good education and provide well for my family. He, along with the others he fought with, believed that revolution meant that you could never stop changing and learning. You have to continue to work to become the best person you can be."

I could tell he felt very deeply about what he was saying to me. His words sank deep into my heart. I can still hear them vibrating throughout my body. They're repeating themselves within me as, "My personal revolution means that I can never stop changing and learning. I must continue to work to become the best person I can be."

After all, that's the greatest revolution. It's the greatest discovery: You and I can change our circumstances by what we think, do and then achieve. So join the personal revolution, reach within yourself and discover your ability to create a wonderful future again and again.

No comments: