Sunday, October 3, 2010

Focus on Essentials

"I looked at my family in the car and knew that I had everything that was most important with me."

  • Michael Keene

Focus on Essentials

I was listening to the news on the radio in the background. You know, listening, not hearing. It was more background noise than anything else. Then, I felt something click in my mind and I began to hear every word in great detail. There was a devastating fire in and around the town of Herriman.

Herriman is a small town in South West Salt Lake County, Utah. When I hear of happenings in Herriman my ears are usually attracted because I have family roots there. My family founded this town more than one-hundred-fifty years ago now. It was a harsh environment then; little water, few trees, and lots of wind. When they arrived, they were so poor that they lived in "dug-out" caves on the banks of the Jordan River. But, they had faith in the future and worked hard. Today it is a thriving suburb of Salt Lake City.

There is rarely big news coming from Herriman, but this day was different. A spark had caused a fire to start in the tall, dry grass that had grown during the long hot summer. And, speedy, hot winds were blowing from the southern desert to fan the flames while blowing them toward nearby homes. Thousands of homes were being threatened and evacuation orders were initiated.

With this in mind, I thought of my friend Michael Keene and his family. I knew they were living in the area and thought they might be affected. I reached for my phone and touched it to see if I could reach Michael. Luckily, I was able to speak with him within a few minutes.

I asked Michael if he was O.K. He replied, "Yes. It was scary when we had to evacuate, but we got out. As we were driving out of town we came to a check point where I saw a woman speaking to police, trying desperately to get to her house so she could gather up her family. It was then that I looked at my wife and daughter in the car and knew that I had everything of importance with me."

I've thought a lot about what Michael said to me that day. I've reflected on it again and again realizing that I tend to get caught up in the speed of life. I fill my schedule to over flowing, trying to make one more phone call, get one more task completed and keep it all going, "full speed ahead." Michael reminded me that all of such is just a distraction when viewed from a perfectly honed life focused on what's really important.

"All we left behind is just stuff," Michael said. "It can all be replaced. I had my family with me and that set my heart at ease."

If you'd like to live a life filled with peace of mind and happiness, follow Michael's example; focus on the essentials. If you will, you'll soon have a new spring in your step and calm in your heart.

No comments: