Monday, March 8, 2010

Creators and Builders Needed

"It was like the earth came alive, it was rolling like a wave in the ocean."

  • Jeff and Daphne

Creators and Builders Needed

It's easy to hear the news from distant places and just file the information away without giving it a second thought. But, recently I've been impressed that so many people don't take that approach. I was really struck by such caring when recently purchasing jeans for my daughter in the Aeropostale Outlet Store. They were offering a 25% off coupon in exchange for the donation of old jeans for Haitian relief. Their goodness made me stop and think; I wanted to participate even without being a coupon recipient.

I had jeans sitting in my closet that hadn't been worn for a long, long time. They weren't doing anyone any good and this was a chance to put them to work again so I came back later with a stack of trousers to donate. It made me feel as if I was part of a great wave of good. But more is needed since a great wave of quakes is rolling across the globe.

One of these quakes hit Chile and this one had a direct hit to my heart as well. My Friends Jeff and Daphne Neal recently relocated to Chile so I was really worried about their welfare and felt helpless. It was impossible to even get in touch with them to find out what their situation was.

Then, another friend of mine forwarded an email that she had received from Jeff.

It's been a crazy few days here in Chile. This is the first time I have had internet. We are all fine after the earthquake. Our house has only one small repair needed. The earthquake was a 7.5 where we live, and lasted 3 1/2 minutes. It was a scary experience. It was like the earth came alive, it was rolling like a wave in the ocean. We have plenty of water and food, and feel very lucky to be unharmed. Hope to talk soon and hope you are all well.

I felt relief roll throughout my whole being as I read this little note. But, the relief hasn't lasted long. There was another large quake in Taiwan not long after and today another one has hit Turkey. It all seems a little overwhelming! But, I've been having this nagging thought come to my mind over and over again.

This is not the time to shrink, run and hide. This is a time for us to create in a way we never have before. There hasn't been a time like this as long as I've been alive and now is our chance to reach out and be the creators we're meant to be.

We need to create businesses that provide people with incomes to rebuild their lives. We need to provide more people with food and shelter than ever before. We need to offer hope and good will whenever we get a chance.

This is our chance to awaken the innate compassion and idealism we are all born with and take to heart the advice of the late Dr. Fred Epstein, "If you keep your eyes open and follow your passions you will find your calling."

No comments: