Monday, March 22, 2010

Become Known For Something

"You are so courteous"

  • Jay Yamamoto

Become Known for Something

I've been working with a specific Client a great deal lately and it's been a great experience for me to get to know him and his wife. My work with them, as is often the case, has caused us to spend long hours together and, as always, I've found that it's important to make sure I show as much thoughtfulness as possible. After all, being with someone you don't know real well, in stressful situations, can make the interaction even more stressful. Still, I haven't known what kind of impact this considerate behavior has had until this last week.

As we were working, Jay Yamamoto kept saying to me, "You're so courteous!" It was kind of him to make the remark and it made me feel good. I found myself thinking about this comment time and again even after he flew back to San Diego.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that being known for something is very important. And, it's important to understand that this is a much different concept than being famous or infamous for something. The truth is that most of us will never become famous; but that doesn't mean that we can't become known for being something wonderful.

For example, as Jay and I were working we came into contact with another person who said to Jay, "It's nice to meet you. I haven't met Lynn before either, but I know him by reputation." Gladly his body language and the inflection of his voice led us to believe that this was a positive thing.

Now I invite you to contemplate what it means to be known for something. If you're known as a person of courtesy, honesty and goodness will you view yourself as a successful person? Success always requires one to be proactive in their behavior. So, here are some steps you can take to become known for something:

First, make a list of adjectives that describe the person you'd like to be. It could be anything, great father, friend, trustworthy, etc. Second, make a list of the actions you regularly take that demonstrate that you fit that label. Third, list some things you can do each day to speed up your reputation for being that person. Finally, when you've become proficient in that trait, begin to work toward success with the next positive trait on your list.

Benjamin Franklin was a master at using this technique and you can see the result today some two hundred years later. Now, I'm not saying this approach will make you a large figure in world history, but it will bring you increased confidence in yourself and will make you and those you come into contact with have a better and happier life. I hope you'll give it a try. And, if you get a moment drop me a message and let me know how it's working for you!

No comments: