Monday, April 29, 2024

Running Toward Trouble

 


“He lost a lot of weight, got frostbite, hurt his shoulder and thigh.  But he is smiling.” 

– Bob Stevens

Running Toward Trouble

“There had been one man. One off-duty SAS operator who had been the first responder to the scene, and then for a long time, the only responder. It was him showing up that had driven the terrorists to cease their systematic executions and retreat to their fallback positions. This lone man had literally pressed pause on the murders of innocent civilians with his willingness to intervene.” – From Terrorist Attack Girl: How I Survived Terrorism and Reconstructed My Shattered Mind, by Meyli Chapin.

I had just finished reading this statement from Meyli Chapin’s book when Bob Stevens told me that he and Amy, his wife, were on their way to Georgia. They were on their way to attend their son Parker’s graduation from US Army Ranger School.

“Hopefully he’ll graduate,” Bob said in a nervous, yet excited voice.

“I’m not worried about him graduating at all,” I confidently responded.

Bob and Amy had been proudly telling me of Parker’s graduation from West Point about one year earlier, so I knew the purpose, character and strength that is his.

“I have been training for this my whole life,” - Christian Craighead, from “Terrorist Attack Girl.”

Parker has been training to become an Army Ranger his whole life. I knew it, because Parker knew it.

“Please send me a photo of Parker at his graduation from Ranger School,” I asked Bob. “I’d like to frame it and put it on my desk, right next to my photo of Marine Corps India Company. These photos will remind me daily of those who allow me to live the amazing life I enjoy, because of them.

The day before yesterday I received the first Parker photo from Bob with a note saying, “He lost a lot of weight, got frostbite, hurt his shoulder and thigh.  But he is smiling.”


I was smiling too, when on the next day, I received Parker’s graduation photo, the “Classic” picture taken after graduation, from Bob. 

I’m going to print and frame both Parker photos.

These photos will share my desk and will be a constant reminder to me that: He is, and others like him, the dividing line between good and evil. He is, and they are, heroes!

If you’d like to send Parker a message of gratitude, in preparation for Memorial Day, please email it to me at Lynn@LynnButterfield.com or text it to me at 801-550-6334. I’ll pass it on to Parker and his parents. Or, perhaps there is someone else you’d like to message in gratitude. If so, don’t let another day pass without doing so.

We often talk about how opportunity meets preparation.  Now’s that time. Prepare to thank our heroes and accept your opportunity.

Our heroes have! They run toward trouble for us.
___________________________________________

I’ve helped thousands of people, as a real estate & lifestyle expert, to discover where and how they want to live and work; to achieve Realesation. That’s why I bring you American Dream TV, Both Sides of the Fence, About the Dish, Monday’s Warm Cocoa and HomeByDesign Magazine to stir your heart and mind:

No comments: