Monday, December 18, 2023

Newly Curious


“Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.” – Michael Jordan

Newly Curious

“I wonder where this emotion is coming from?” Tien Lin said to himself.

Then he felt an uncomfortable gurgling in his lower abdomen. It was that all too familiar unhappy gut feeling. He’d had it as long as he could remember. And apparently, he’d had it his whole life, even before he could remember. His mother, God rest her soul, told him about her struggles to have him keep, even the blandest food inside and digesting.

“I wonder where this gurgling gut is coming from?” He asked, as a follow up question.

That’s when he remembered the conversation he’s had with his counselor Dave earlier that day.

“When you feel this physical manifestation make sure to go to your curiosity,” Dave had said. “The physical symptom is in set membership with an emotion.”

“STOP!” Tien cried out, just as Deepak Chopra had taught him. 

Then, he broke the letters apart and rehearsed the acronym steps he’s been given by Deepak.f

S is for stop. He remembered.

“Yes. I need to stop right now, at the moment I recognize that set membership with my body and emotion,” Tien recited to himself.

T. Take three deep breaths. “Deepak, said it will shift my mind to the four questions,” Tien breathed as the words echoed inside his head.

O. Observe your breath. So, Tien took the time to observe what was happening in his heart, mind and body.

P. Proceed with awareness and compassion.

Dave’s words, again, danced through Tien’s now calmed thoughts. “Treat yourself with compassion,” Dave had reminded him. After all, sometimes the holiday season isn’t always joyous for everyone.

Some of us spend the entire holiday season grieving and yearning for a return to what we consider to be “normal life,” so we can start to find meaning and purpose once again.

“What are those four questions of curiosity?” Tien asked himself. “Oh, yes: Who am I? What do I want? What is my purpose? What am I grateful for?”

These are questions of curiosity. They are the questions you could ask yourself every morning. They are, I wonder questions.

After all, sometimes the wonder of the holiday season leaves many to wonder differently.

“Why am I alone?”

“When will I find love?”

“Will I ever feel happy again?”

If you’re asking yourself such questions, let your curiosity offer you hope.  Remember to STOP every morning and ask yourself the four questions of curiosity.

Have you begun to wonder? Then, think about what Michael Jordan once said, “Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.”

Let your new year begin, curiously.

No comments: