Monday, December 5, 2022

Sprinkles



“Sometimes I Sprinkle cards in seatbacks.” - Hailey

Sprinkles

The rain had stopped in the early afternoon.

“A good rain always makes the city seem cleaner and softer.”  I said to myself as I waited outside my hotel for an ordered ride to the airport.

It was the day after Thanksgiving and I was expecting a heavy travel day.  That meant more people on the sidewalks.  It would also mean more traffic; not just shopping traffic.  I had visions of miles and miles of cars jockeying for position to drop their friends and family members at the air terminal.  But it was not to be!

The traffic on Grand Central Parkway was unexpectedly light and the cars dropping passengers at terminal four were sort of sprinkled around, with plenty of room at the curb for more.

“No double parking in the drop off zone!  I can’t believe it!” I said to myself.

The trip to my airline had already been sprinkled with surprise.  And, there was another wonder to come once I was in the air.

The flight was comfortable and the people, both passengers and flight crew, were friendly and helpful.  The crew, sprinkled around the cabin, rained personalized attention on all the passengers.  They seemed to be genuinely happy to be there. Happy to bring a smile to those they were there to serve.

One such, noticeable, smile appeared on the faces of a young couple seated across the aisle.  And, their smiles broadened as they paused their entertainment and looked at what appeared to be a card. One of them had pulled it from the seatback in front of her.  They talked softly to each other while glancing around, as if they were looking for an answer.  The answer they were looking for soon appeared as all of the passengers began to disembark.

“Did you give us this?”  The woman across the aisle asked Hailey, the Delta Flight Attendant who’d been serving us so attentively.

“Yes.”  Hailey replied.  “I like to sprinkle holiday cards around the plane this time of year.  It means a lot to me to be able to brighten travel for our guests.” 

She had succeeded in her efforts!  The joy she had hoped for was displayed on the faces of that couple.

“Thank you!”  They said as they picked up their bags and began to walk toward the exit. Their steps were visibly lighter, even with a late-night arrival.

“Joy, purposely sprinkled! It’s refreshing, just like the earlier rain.”  I whispered quietly, as I said thank you to Hailey and followed the happy couple onto the waiting jet bridge.

The rain had stopped in the early afternoon.  But the sprinkles continued on my flight.

“A good rain always makes the city seem cleaner and softer.”  I said to myself as I waited outside my hotel for an ordered ride to the airport.

A little, purposeful, sprinkle of kindness has the ability to make everyone’s life more joyful.

After all, who doesn’t like sprinkles on their cupcakes as well as in their airplane seatback?

No comments: