Monday, April 18, 2022

A Noteworthy Breakfast



“One of the most touching things ever to have happened to me was receiving a hand-written note.” – Barry Larson

A Noteworthy Breakfast

I’ve heard it said that the most important meal of the day is breakfast.  But, I guess I’ve never really believed it.  Until now!

The reason I believe it now has nothing to do with how good it is for a person’s body and mind to eat a suitable breakfast.  I’m sure someone else can regale you with such physical-body stories and statistics.  All I can do is to tell you how I came to know that breakfast truly is the most important way to acquire nourishment for the heart.

“Where would you like to have breakfast?”  Barry asked through a text message.

I viewed his message on my telephone.  It’s Barry’s preferred method of communication.  I think it’s because it saves him time.  And, most of the time, when one eats a poor breakfast it’s also about saving time.  Luckily for me, that wasn’t what my breakfast with Barry was about.

Our breakfast together was about one thing.  Spending time together.  Again, luckily for me, it turned out to be much more nourishing to my heart than I had ever dreamed.  And, I can dream quite well about where to eat, whether it is for breakfast or any other meal for that matter.

“Do you know if Blue Plate Diner is open for in-café dining these days?”  I typed back.

“No.”  Barry responded. “I usually eat at Jim’s.”

“Jim’s works for me.”  I digitized in return.  “The one in West Jordan will be most convenient for me.  Is that alright with you?”

So, on that Monday morning, I walked into Jim’s Family Restaurant.

“May I look to see if my friend is already here?”  I asked when I had arrived at the host’s desk.

Then I walked around a corner, saw Barry and slid into the booth right across the table from him.  We ordered food and then we talked while eating.  But, never while our mouths were full!  And soon, our stomachs were satisfied.  Yet, I’ve already told you that a stomach filled with good food is not the reason I now know that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  It was something Barry said to me.  A wonderful story.

“When I grew up my family didn’t have much money.”  He said.  “But, my parent taught me a great work ethic.  And because they passed that on to me it’s made all the difference.  Still, I didn’t know how much of a difference until I was sitting in a potential client’s living room one day.”

He told me how he didn’t really know much about the people he was meeting with.  And, his initial meeting was just getting to know them better.  Things were going well, so they decided to hold a follow up meeting soon after the first.

“I had lightly eluded to how humble my family background was because I didn’t know them well yet.  I was sort of vague, thinking I wasn’t divulging too much personal information.”  He explained.

At that point of the Barry’s story, I had scooted up to the edge of my seat.  I mean, with bait like that, I was so hooked that my belly was as tight as it could possibly be on the edge of the table.  I was waiting to be fed well past the simple food we were eating.

“The next meeting with these potential clients went well.  It looked as if I was going to be able to help them.  I was getting ready to leave when the matriarch, a kindly woman of graced-age got up and pressed a hand-written note into the palm of my hand.  She did it in such a way so as to not allow the others in the room to even see what she had done.”

Barry paused.  I could see the emotion building behind his eyes.

“I didn’t know it at that moment, but It was one of the most wonderful things to ever happen to me!”  He continued.  “I left the house and began to drive home.  I thought I’d wait to read the note until I got home.  But, my little internal voice said, ‘stop and read it now.’ So, I did!”

“I know your family and about the challenges you faced as you grew up!”  The woman’s note said.  “I just wanted you to know that I could not be more proud of who you have become!”

“I took the note home and shared it with my wife.  It is a memory I’ll never forget.  It’s a kindness beyond anything I thought I would ever experience.  I treasure the memory in my heart!”  Barry said with the softness of gratitude touching his voice as we finished our breakfast together.

I’ve heard it said that the most important meal of the day is breakfast.  I guess I’ve never really believed it.  Until now!

The reason I believe it now has nothing to do with how good it is for a person’s body and mind to eat a suitable breakfast.  I’m sure someone else can regale you with such physical-body stories and statistics.  All I can do is to share with you the story of how I came to know that breakfast truly can become a most significant way to acquire nourishment for the heart.  

Barry Larson taught me that you and I can make breakfast a much more heart-warming experience. Perhaps we can take the time to share life’s most important events with each other as a pathway toward sharing a more enhanced meal.

Who knows? Perhaps breakfast will become the most important meal of the day to those we pass carefully hand-written notes of inspiration & admiration to, so we can swell both their tummies and their hearts with affection.

No comments: