Monday, August 30, 2021

With Open Arms

“He called.  I borrowed a trailer and drove to Michigan immediately.” – Tracy Di Nardo


With Open Arms

“I’ve always thought the most important thing is to show my children consistent, unconditional love.”  Tracy explained.  “That way, they’ll come to understand you’ll really, always be there for them.”

Then, there was one day, when her only son suddenly packed his things and left their home with hardly a word.  All Tracy and the others in her family knew was that he was going to Michigan to live with some girl and her parents.  People they didn’t know.

“It caught us by surprise!  Completely!”  Tracy said.

This wasn’t only a love challenging circumstance for Tracy alone.  It deeply affected the whole family, making them all question their relationship with the young man.  It caused them to question their own actions over a lifetime of about twenty years.  But, it never caused Tracy to question her love for her son!

“It’s one thing to espouse a core principle such as unconditional love when your belief has never been contested!  Then, something challenges you.  Hits you right in your heart.  That’s when you face a ‘gut-check’ moment.  The moment you’re forced to look deep inside your heart and ask, ‘do I really believe this?’”  Tracy imparted.

Her anguished questioning didn’t last for a day or two.  It didn’t even last for a month or two.  It lasted for more than two years.  Two years of worry, guilt, introspection, and of course, great hope.  What did she do?

First, she reminded herself of her core belief every single day.  An undying belief that her love for her son was indeed unconditional.  “I had to stop all thoughts of punishing him!”  She said.  “I said to myself, this is your chance to walk your talk!  It taught me a lot about myself, my beliefs, and what true love is.”

Second, she constantly reached out to her son to reassure him of her presence.  She wanted him to know she was still there for him and she would never abandon him.  “I did this on an almost daily basis.  At first, there was hardly a response from him.  But, after a couple of years of continued, faithful effort, I think he began to believe me.  And, to believe in me.”  Tracy shared.

Finally.  She seized opportunity.  “I’ll never forget the day my son called me and said, ‘I made a mistake!’ can I come home?”  

“He called.  I borrowed a trailer and drove to Michigan immediately.”  Tracy said.

It took her two days to drive from Utah’s Wasatch Mountains to Michigan.  When she arrived at her son’s residence they embraced.  She said, “Once he was in my arms again I didn’t ever want to let him go!  But, oh yah, there was that additional driving I needed to do!”

“I’ve always thought the most important thing is to show my children consistent, unconditional love.”  Tracy explained.  “That way, they’ll come to understand you’ll really, always be there for them.  And when that moment comes.  That moment when your lifetime of talking ends and your unconditional love is wholly accepted by a loved one, as an undeniable truth; that moment provided the most powerful emotion I’ve ever experienced!”

Talking really does end with a genuine offering of open arms!

No comments: