Monday, January 11, 2021

Imaginable Possibilities


“You’re looking at it wrong!  It’s a rag now!” – Thomas Korcorkov


Imaginable Possibilities


“First thing we need to do is clean this work space.” Tom said to me as we began.

“Okay.”  I said as I walked to the table closest to me.

Once at the table I was amazed at the wide array there.  But, it was one item that caught my attention right off.

“What’s this?”  I scoffed, while holding a white athletic sock that had seen better days.

“Just put it over there.”  Tom replied.

“Tom!  There’s a big hole in it!  If you need new socks I’ll gladly buy some for you.”

Of course, I knew he didn’t need me to buy socks for him. Tom is one of the most talented, successful physicists I’ve ever known.  And, he has more money than most people could ever spend in a couple of lifetimes, because he’s successfully invented and commercialized three or four products that have widely changed the world in which we live.  To simply say he’s improved life for millions would be selling his achievements short.  Yes.  I knew all of that.  What I didn’t know was that his quick response to my snippy statement would forever change my perspective.  

“You’re looking at it wrong!  It’s a rag now!” Tom quipped.

Yes.  This was one of those seemingly innumerable times when I’ve failed to recognize value simply because I didn’t open my eyes internally; to take advantage of my heart and mind’s vision, curious sight, toward imaginable possibilities.  Perhaps this one moment and exchange with Tom was an expression of how differently we think.  If nothing else, it definitely gave me a little more insight into how he thinks and why he’s able to see opportunities which are imperceptible to most others.

Thomas Edison, another of our world’s greatest inventors, said, “When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this - you haven't.”

The memory of Thomas Edison’s words caused me to pause for a second time within a span of five seconds.  It was a pause that allowed me to begin to open-up.  To submit myself to becoming a student.  To blend the words of the two Thomas’ into one, insightful lesson.

“First thing we need to do is clean this work space.” Tom said to me as we began.

“Okay.”  I said, not realizing at the time he was speaking of cleaning the workspace of the mind. 

Once prepared, I was amazed at the wide array of new possibilities to be imagined there.  But, it was one item that caught my attention right off.

“What’s this?”  I asked, as I held up a mind opening catalyst, once used as a white athletic sock and then as a rag.

That’s when I recognized new understanding.  New growth!  The comingled words of the two Thomas’ had guided me toward beginning to see imaginable possibilities.

No comments: