Monday, December 7, 2020

Savoring the Miracle

“It’s weird to see how this is coming all together!” – Reed Orcutt

Savoring the Miracle

Gratitude. That’s the word that crossed my mind as I listened to Reed talk to me.

“It’s weird to see how this is coming all together!” Reed Orcutt said as we stood talking about the improbable events that had occurred.  It was so “miraculous” that we both had to just stand there in a sort of fish-like, mouth-gaping manner, sensing that we almost had to catch our breath as part of an effort to take it all in.

Being part of that moment together was important.  It allowed us to look into each other’s eyes so we could silently ask, “Are you experiencing what I’m experiencing?”  And, we each got that confirmation, confidently obtained through an intertwined gaze.  Yet, there was something else at hand.

At that moment of recognition, I couldn’t put my finger on exactly what that little “something” else was.  So, I’ve reflected on it again and again, asking myself, “what was that?”

Pondering that question lead me back to that one word, gratitude.  Yet, this was a different kind of gratitude.  It could perhaps be something akin to a personally heretofore undiscovered classification.  Or, perhaps it’s simply a singularly more effective method of experiencing gratitude.  A process one could call, “Gradational Gratitude Taxonomy?”  

Gradational Gratitude Taxonomy, is a way of systematically studying and experiencing the general principles related to gratitude. And it’s more easily characterized by the phrase “Savoring the Miracle.” Here’s how to do it.

Stop!  Many of us live at such a frenetic pace we don’t stop and think of the good surrounding us.  

My friend Phil once said, “My life has been horribly difficult over the past while!”

I replied, “You mean having to live in a beautiful home and having wonderful food to eat?”

This small conversation between two close friends was the perfect reminder of how important it is to simply stop and put things into proper perspective.

Identify!  Reed and I knew something magical was happening as we worked together.  And, part of truly experiencing the “magic” was to stop and process what was happening.  As soon as we took this step the magic increased in capacity.  Identification opens the door to magnificent expansion.

Harmonize!  Individual musical performance can be life expanding on its own and when you add other voices or instruments it becomes a choir or symphony.  I’m talking about adding dimension and power here.  That’s exactly the result of what Reed and I experienced together.  It was great on an individual basis.  It became even greater as we shared it.

Remember!  Or, savor!  Enjoy it completely!  Have you ever considered incorporating this as part of your character?  Possessing the attribute of savoring all good is life changing. The best things in life, food, drink, happiness and everything I can think of is heightened by simply reminiscing and sharing the process and experience with others.

Gratitude. That’s the word that crossed my mind as I listened to Reed talk to me as we were processing the miracle we were both experiencing.

“It’s weird to see how this is coming all together!” Reed said as we stood talking about the improbable events that had occurred.  It was so “miraculous” that we both had to just stand there in a sort of fish-like, mouth-gaping manner, sensing we were engaged in a process of stopping, identifying and now savoring something extraordinarily special!  

You and I can deepen our gratitude by savoring life’s magic, catch-our-breath-moments.

No comments: