Monday, August 10, 2020

Turn Your Lights on!

“Still no power as of early this am.”  - Richard Reaback

 

Turn Your Lights on!

 

My computer screen displayed a new electronic message from my friend Richard Reaback early this morning.  “Still no power as of early this am.” Richard.

 

I sat back in my chair, pondering.  “No power!”

 

There have been numerous events over the past few months that have made many of us feel as if we have no power and little hope.  In Richard’s case, He, his business, his town, in Connecticut, have literally been without power for the past few days, since they were battered by yet another hurricane-like tropical storm.  The storm flooded homes, businesses and did an amazing amount of wind damage.  And, this is only the latest event in a seemingly endless string of occurrences have ongoingly diminished our collective hope, belief and faith in our present and future.

 

“No power!”  I said again, to myself, as the electricity in my home flickered and then went out, just moments ago, while writing this, sitting at my desk, not long after reading Richard’s note.

 

Yes.  We have felt ostensibly powerless over the past few months as we’ve grappled with a pandemic, earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, drought, and riots.

 

Really! 

 

Then I chuckled as I recalled the note I received from my friend Jack Banks not three days ago.

 

“Still going straight to work and straight home. Been doing it for a few months now. Pretty boring life!” Jack reported as he checked in with me. Jack and his wife Somi, who live in South Korea, have, like the rest of us, had their lives turned upside down as a result of occurrences, out of their power to change.  My response to Jack?

 

“Boring seems good these days!”

 

It seems as if peace, hope and joy have abandoned us.  Yet, we are not powerless!  Perhaps the clicking sound of the electricity coming back on, combined with the start-up whirl of the ceiling fan in my home office, were the perfect catalyst to initiate a new-found appreciation of and belief in the power of the simple, dynamic and enduring ideals of Christmas.

 

I should have recognized it sooner!  As my friend Ralph Huddlestone continually drives this point home. Literally!  His automobile license plate reads, “Christmas.”

 

Like Ralph and the restored light from the LED lamp on my desk, when the power came back on today, we have an opportunity to radiate these ideals to all.  And, there is no better time to start than now.  Why wait for the traditional holiday season?

 

So, starting this very day, I’m turning the Christmas lights on at my home, and they’ll stay on as a beacon, broadcasting the ideals of peace, hope, belief, faith and love to all.  I invite you to join me in bringing these simple and dynamic ideals to light during our time of dimmed hope.

 

These ideals have the power to change all of us.  Every one!

 

Turn your Christmas Lights on tonight!

No comments: