Monday, April 13, 2020

Because He's my Friend

“Because He’s my friend!” -  Brock Richardson

Because He’s my Friend

By giving, you receive.

Unfortunately, we live in a day and time when too many of us have forgotten what’s important.  But, not all of us!

One day, Brock Richardson, a teenager and an athlete, vividly reminded me of what’s really most important.  His parents wanted to change his life, and the lives of their whole family.  So, they sat down together and devised a plan to learn how to become peacemakers.  They decided to go on a two-week vacation, going from town to town, from place to place, doing good deeds to others.  People they didn’t know. They wanted to go out and just do something for somebody else, believing that by serving others, they were really doing good to the whole of humanity.

They even made some coupons that said, “Sometimes, it’s just nice to know that somebody cares. Have a great day!”  Each family member put their name on it before they handed it to a stranger, in the strange town.

At first, Brock said, “Come on dad!  You’ve got to be kidding me!”

But, they had great experiences!  They went to big cities and small towns just to see what kind of reactions they would get.  In the end, the miracle wasn’t for the people they served.  It was for them.  It changed each member of the family.

When they got back home from their vacation, it wasn’t long before they missed the good feelings, the peace, they had from doing good.  So, they decided to just go out and do it in their own town.  Then, at night they would come together, at the dinner table, and tell each other their stories.

Two days later Brock came home and said, “Guess what happened to me at school today?  I was walking down the hall, there’s a boy in our school that’s kind of mentally challenged, and some boys were teasing, picking on him.

Brock continued, “I went up to the kids and said, hey guys, leave Joey alone!’

The boys said, “Why?  He’s a nerd!”

Brock said, “Because he’s my friend!”

They said, “Oh! Ya!”

Brock said, “Leave him alone!”

The boys answered, “Why!”

Brock again said, “Because he’s my friend!”

By the fifth time Brock said, “they started laughing and said, ‘O.K. I guess if he’s your friend Brock, we’ll leave him along.  He’s O.K.’ Then they just kept laughing and went down the hall.”

Dumbfounded, Joey came up and put his hand on Brock’s neck and said, “Brock!  Why did you do that?”

Brock simply looked at him and said, “Because Joey, you’re my friend!”

That’s the power of a peacemaker!  It’s the power of serving, doing good deeds to others.  There can never be too many acts of kindness. It is the most powerful avenue to change lives,  to bring peace at home and in our neighborhoods, cities and world.

As I listened to Brock’s story of creating peace, I thought, “Can it be that simple?  Just go out, about doing good?”

Confirmation consumed my whole heart when I remembered Brock’s voice saying, “Because I’m your friend!”

No comments: